Looking for recommendations for a sturdy cat carrier

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's about time that the now resident, formerly stray black cat was taken to the vets for a health check.

I've had a look at the various cat/small dog carriers on offer, and they all seem to be rather flimsy. There are reports of cats escaping from them on vet visits.

Anyone recommend a sturdy carrier?

TIA :).

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I bought my 3 cat carriers from Pets at Home when I moved house, I can’t remember the brand but they are all sturdy enough. However if you want the strongest box out there then a small SkyKennel is the one to go for. I used to have the dog version for flying Amber home at weekends and it stood up to cargo handlers at Heathrow regularly.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You need a metal one like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...909961?hash=item422d4db949:g:B40AAOSw9IZf0kls

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat-Carr...483951?hash=item2ae995052f:g:ELMAAOSwSRVeznfn

Put a thick pad inside and a large towel over the top to cover it and you'll be fine. Kasper can escape from all but this type.
Thanks, I've gone for the second one, it does look sturdy. Two week wait, though. I'll use a old blanket over the top to give the cat some privacy.

Ll, I also liked the look of the Sky kennel, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

daydreamer

Visit site
It might be worth asking the vets. Once of ours is an ex stray who is now completely spoilt and domesticated until you try and take him to the vets. We have the normal plastic carriers but he loses the plot and breaks out of those. The vets said they always have some spare cages and kindly lent us one of the metal ones so we could take him in safely. It is very local so we could collect it, take him and then drop it off all in a day.

Griffin

Visit site
Cage ones are best. I asked my vet which they preferred and they said for difficult cats, a 'top loading' one is easiest for them.

I have also got a very small dog crate which I used for one of my cats who was particularly vicious when I tried to catch him. The crate gave me a little more room to get him in and get the door shut before he could get out. He was a lovely cat and I miss him but and absolute nightmare to take to the vets.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The cat cage is very sturdy, but I think that the stray black cat must be a monster size cat because it's rather a cosy fit.

To persuade the cat to go in the cage, we have been playing a game of slowly slowly catchee monkey :D.

First response of cat. 'You think I'm going in there? Pfft, you clearly know nothing about us felines'. (True).

My responses:- Purchase fancy non slip vet bed to line the cage's tray.
Place tray and vet bed on the ground outside the open cage and feed cat from there for a couple of weeks.

5EB866B9-C447-4F99-9C75-879C3906B375.jpeg

Cat consents to do so, and decides that the vet bed is rather nice.

FF0C62BD-F9CE-4080-A116-CCBA71D66F1A.jpeg

I place the feed bowl in the cage. Cat complains loudly and lengthily that this is cruelty to cats, but eventually gives in, and clambers by herself to eat.

58B7F2B7-65D1-4289-8295-14A589E96B2C.jpeg

That's where we are at the moment, feeding her twice daily in there. I've not put the lid down on her yet.

Will be booking her vet check in the next week or two, when she's a bit happier about the cage.
13CA8058-82C6-4B15-BCEF-9D3F6659996A.jpeg

Dogs are waay easier to trick than cats!

This is how she would prefer to travel - in the rear dinette of the motorhome :D.

41D44547-A520-4228-9A89-95397BFE8E74.jpeg

Attachments

• 0DBDCBCF-8C98-4989-8833-1F9A017B5D0D.jpeg
    0DBDCBCF-8C98-4989-8833-1F9A017B5D0D.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: