Looking for recommendations for the best Rug Proofing

Andreafp

Visit site
So it's getting to that time of year when I need to think about re-proofing my girls rugs, I have tried Nikwax, the one that goes in the washing machine with the rug, but it didn't make it completely water proof (Maybe there isn't such a thing!) as the rain still seemed to get through where the seams were, any suggestions welcome! Thanks Andrea x

phizz4

Visit site
The only way that you can waterproof the seams is if you run a bead of something like Bostic or Seam Sealer along them. All of the commercial reproofers only refresh the water repellant surface coating of the fabric, the waterproof coating is on the inside. If that has failed you will never make the rug waterproof again.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I painted two coats of that onto a rug which had lost its proofing. Result? It still lets rain through

If the rugs are old, have been washed in a machine or the weave is compromised nothing will work however many coats you paint on. As with all products sometimes it just won't work but for my turnouts which I only ever sponge clean it works very well and neither of my boys were wet last winter and they lived out 24/7.

JillA

Visit site
If the rugs are old, have been washed in a machine or the weave is compromised nothing will work however many coats you paint on. As with all products sometimes it just won't work but for my turnouts which I only ever sponge clean it works very well and neither of my boys were wet last winter and they lived out 24/7.

Yes, lesson learned - I only ever pressure wash mine with water now. Washing, even with a proofer, doesn't do them any good

Andie02

Visit site
Pressure washing will force off the waterproof backing. Turnout rugs should be washed at no more than 30 degrees and only with the correct product suitable for waterproof rugs i.e. Nikwax, also they should not be tumble dried as per manufacturers instructions. Lightweight rugs and old rugs are best reproofed "extra strength" mix and done manually with a sprayer and or sponged on, this method can then be repeated if necessary. Once the waterproof backing has peeled off they can no longer be made waterproof.