Looking for supplement(s)

kahahak

Visit site
I’m looking for a supplement to help a horses bones and joints stay strong and healthy, and to support repair, while he is on rest.
Im also looking for a supplement which provides him with the vits/mins he needs while on rest and unable to go outside.
Ideally neither toooo expensive please. Does anyone have recommendations?

Leo Walker

Visit site
The best spec at the lowest price that I found is Equimins Advance. I'm a bit sceptical of joint supplements, but I do feed linseed for that.

Shay

Visit site
I feed Maxaflex. The thing is you will get 100 recommendations for 100 different products. Endorsed by pros, found useful through personal experienced etc. But none of that will actually help you decide what you need for your horse.

You have two questions - a general vit/min supplement. That is more simple. What feed is he on now and what do you need to supplement? Are you in an area known to be rich or deficient in any particular mineral? Then you just find one that meets the requirement and your budget - there are loads to choose from. Joint supplement - partly the same question; what feed is he on now? There is no point in doubling up on something already covered in feed. Any age issues? Breed? Some things work better for older / younger animals. Some breeds have particular needs. There is a fair amount of (usually contradictory) research on the efficacy of joint supplementation, so do some internet surfing and read the peer reviewed stuff. Apply what you learn from that to your situation and find a supplement that meets whatever conclusions you have come to.

To be honest feeding something just becuase so and so down the road / at the yard / on a forum says it is good is a bit hit and miss and may well turn out to be a good way to waste money!

meleeka

Visit site
I agree with the above. I tried A highly recommended joint supplement and it had no effect on my mare. I’m certain those who recommended it weren’t lying, but I do think what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. Mine are on Boswellia and that’s worked for them.

Griffin

Visit site
I agree, it is trial and error with supplements, what suits one doesn't another. For example, my mare has responded well to Hack Up but I know other people who have found it did nothing for their horse. I always ask for a sample, if possible, to see if my horse will actually eat it first!

If you want vits and mins plus joint support, it may be worth looking at veteran feeds/balancers because some of those do both. You do need to do your research though to look at their specs and ingredients to see what will suit your horse.