Looking for the impossible

welshcobabe

Visit site
For 58 years I have had a horse 6 weeks ago I lost my old lad to colic and I feel like I have lost a limb. I am helping a friend with some health issues with her horse and it is filling the gap a bit. I had been looking for a second horse since last year as Stan was about to be retired and then I lost him. So now the hunt goes on and I just don't seem to be able to get to view a horse before someone has bought it over the phone unseen ! I have set off loads of times only to be rung and told it had been sold. My friends are on the look out and keep sending me stuff the whole process is just exhausting and depressing. Horses are just what I do I feel totally lost without one which is making the looking for another so frustrating. Is it just me or have any of you been in this position. I am looking for the impossible a cob for hacking out I have seen some really nice ones advertised in Ireland and the thought crossed my mind and then I have to kick myself as desperation is driving me to thinking stupid things I know I have to be patient and friends keep saying the right one is out there but at this rate I will be in a straight jacketed dribbling wreck :O)

JGC

Visit site
The market is a nightmare at the moment. Would it be worth putting up wanted ads? A friend found her horse just after lockdown with a wanted ad. I was about to do that when I found my current one.

Really sorry about your old boy x

ihatework

Visit site
Be patient.
There is a lot of dross being sold and many of those being sold unseen you will have had a lucky escape on.
There will be people out there who want their cared for horse being matched to the right home. But it might take some time.

Put the word out locally - farriers / instructors / riding clubs etc.

cauda equina

Visit site
Would you consider a loan or older horse, or one that's not up to strenuous work?
A friend of mine has a cob on loan that can't hunt but is fine for hacking, found through word of mouth

welshcobabe

Visit site
The market is a nightmare at the moment. Would it be worth putting up wanted ads? A friend found her horse just after lockdown with a wanted ad. I was about to do that when I found my current one.

Really sorry about your old boy x
Thank You miss him so much and yes wanted ads are a good idea just not sure where is best to post them

palo1

Visit site
For 58 years I have had a horse 6 weeks ago I lost my old lad to colic and I feel like I have lost a limb. I am helping a friend with some health issues with her horse and it is filling the gap a bit. I had been looking for a second horse since last year as Stan was about to be retired and then I lost him. So now the hunt goes on and I just don't seem to be able to get to view a horse before someone has bought it over the phone unseen ! I have set off loads of times only to be rung and told it had been sold. My friends are on the look out and keep sending me stuff the whole process is just exhausting and depressing. Horses are just what I do I feel totally lost without one which is making the looking for another so frustrating. Is it just me or have any of you been in this position. I am looking for the impossible a cob for hacking out I have seen some really nice ones advertised in Ireland and the thought crossed my mind and then I have to kick myself as desperation is driving me to thinking stupid things I know I have to be patient and friends keep saying the right one is out there but at this rate I will be in a straight jacketed dribbling wreck :O)

Would you consider a youngster? If so, it would probably be easier and less nerve-wracking to deal with stud owners. You may or may not want to start a youngster yourself but there are good people about who can either help you or provide a full starting service.

Sealine

Visit site
A friend was in the same position 6 months ago and experiencing the same frustrations. Most were already sold but the one she did view wasn't the paragon of virtue he was advertised as. We did find her the perfect horse but it was by word of mouth. Horse was being sold on behalf of someone by a friend of a friend and was never advertised. Tell the world and it's wife what you're looking for and your budget and hopefully someone will know someone who knows someone.

Birker2020

Visit site
Yep I know how you feel, I went through the same.

I know just how you feel. I had my beloved horse pts aged 24 in June last year, had her 17 years, knew her inside out. It was made a lot easier by the fact I'd totally exhausted every option available and had rehabbed her what felt like a million times already and there was nothing more to be done, she'd had enough, she went looking amazing and was happy but bute couldn't control her lameness as a field pet.

So I started looking for a new horse in earnest about three weeks after her death and I found it almost impossible like you. I saw that many adverts and friends sent me loads of things, but most were unsuitable for what I wanted, or had been sold when I rang up. I remembered the good old days when I used one or two dealers for the previous 6 horses and had always found a horse within 6 weeks max of losing a previous one and was out within a fortnight competing them, hacking them the next day on my own, that kind of thing.

My 'wants' were quite particular (they always have been) and I knew what I wanted down to colour, size and breed which made the search a bit harder. I got very frustrated with a chap who kept saying he had a horse suitable but I could never tie him down to a viewing and then it would be sold, then I'd ring again, "oh yes I've got some coming over from Ireland at the weekend" and I'd ring when he told me to but they'd not come, or they weren't ready to be seen, or whatever. It drove me mad and I saw three horses, from as far as Hampshire up to Cheshire before I saw my new boy.

I ended up with something lovely and I fell in love with him the minute I saw his video and input his owners mobile number in my phone under the title 'dream horse' as to me, that's what he was and bartered them down to what I could afford.

So we've had various problems since owning him and I am hoping that its nothing insurmountable but I've ridden 8 times in 5 months and if really does get me down at times both mentally and financially he's cost me a fortune already in vets bills. But I think he will come good, he is real quality and he moves amazing.

I'd save every penny you can whilst you are looking and try and get into some hobby or sport or something until you find another. I went to the gym every day and lost over a stone in weight. It kept me sane and still does.

You will know when you find the right horse, just make sure you ask the right questions. Good luck x

welshcobabe

Visit site
Yep I know how you feel, I went through the same.

I know just how you feel. I had my beloved horse pts aged 24 in June last year, had her 17 years, knew her inside out. It was made a lot easier by the fact I'd totally exhausted every option available and had rehabbed her what felt like a million times already and there was nothing more to be done, she'd had enough, she went looking amazing and was happy but bute couldn't control her lameness as a field pet.

So I started looking for a new horse in earnest about three weeks after her death and I found it almost impossible like you. I saw that many adverts and friends sent me loads of things, but most were unsuitable for what I wanted, or had been sold when I rang up. I remembered the good old days when I used one or two dealers for the previous 6 horses and had always found a horse within 6 weeks max of losing a previous one and was out within a fortnight competing them, hacking them the next day on my own, that kind of thing.

My 'wants' were quite particular (they always have been) and I knew what I wanted down to colour, size and breed which made the search a bit harder. I got very frustrated with a chap who kept saying he had a horse suitable but I could never tie him down to a viewing and then it would be sold, then I'd ring again, "oh yes I've got some coming over from Ireland at the weekend" and I'd ring when he told me to but they'd not come, or they weren't ready to be seen, or whatever. It drove me mad and I saw three horses, from as far as Hampshire up to Cheshire before I saw my new boy.

I ended up with something lovely and I fell in love with him the minute I saw his video and input his owners mobile number in my phone under the title 'dream horse' as to me, that's what he was and bartered them down to what I could afford.

So we've had various problems since owning him and I am hoping that its nothing insurmountable but I've ridden 8 times in 5 months and if really does get me down at times both mentally and financially he's cost me a fortune already in vets bills. But I think he will come good, he is real quality and he moves amazing.

I'd save every penny you can whilst you are looking and try and get into some hobby or sport or something until you find another. I went to the gym every day and lost over a stone in weight. It kept me sane and still does.

You will know when you find the right horse, just make sure you ask the right questions. Good luck x
Thanks for your reply it is good to know that these feelings are normal and the sensible part of me knows I must wait for the right one after what you have had to cope with I am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel.

McGrools

Visit site
My advice would be to really try to find a local horse my word of mouth where its history can be vouched for. I’ve seen some awful cobs recently that were palmed off on unexpecting buyers.

exracehorse

Visit site
If you are looking for a happy hacker … trotter x types are super and undervalued. I have a trotter x cob and I hack him everywhere. He’s not the best mover in the world. But I’d ride him in a hurricane and feel safe.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Have you looked at CNG Equine? They tend to sell fairly quickly but they get some nice 15hh cobs. Their instagram and YouTube are the best places to follow. They have a VIP scheme as well and the impression I get is that you pay a fee, give details of what you're after then reserve a horse that meets your description.

I'm pretty sure there was a post on here a few weeks back about a horse from that dealer which looked really unsound, it was a chestnut? And someone commented to say that they are a dodgy dealer?

OP, check out the dodgy dealer's group on Facebook to make sure you don't view any horses from someone with a bad reputation. It took me over 4 months to find my horse, which I was contacted privately about via my wanted ad. Good luck, it is an absolute minefield out there!

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm pretty sure there was a post on here a few weeks back about a horse from that dealer which looked really unsound, it was a chestnut? And someone commented to say that they are a dodgy dealer?

OP, check out the dodgy dealer's group on Facebook to make sure you don't view any horses from someone with a bad reputation. It took me over 4 months to find my horse, which I was contacted privately about via my wanted ad. Good luck, it is an absolute minefield out there!

I have heard mixed reports. I hadn't seen the thread here, so thank you for the heads up!
I can't say I vouch for the dealer having had no personal experience, but I just know they have hacking cobs as their main interest and not too far away from the OP. I've edited my post as don't want to send someone somewhere dodgy!

The dodgy dealer FB groups are so useful. Everything seems to be selling unseen at the moment; I've given up even browsing for now!

Annagain

Visit site
Been there, done that, got the t shirt. It took me 14 months to find Charlie (although the first lockdown took 4 of those months). Emily Chambers in Tewkesbury is a dealer selling the sort of cob you're after and she has an excellent reputation. I didn't buy from her as none of them were quite right for me but she was good to deal with. I think she's on maternity leave at the moment so all her horses are with Sovereign Horses and Ponies in Leicestershire (I don't know anything about them)

Or, if you don't mind travelling, NB Equine in Hampshire has a lovely 14.3 cob mare in at the moment. That's where I got Charlie from and Natacha's lovely.

Last edited:

exracehorse

Visit site

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...-particularly-the-one-with-white-sock.815025/

irishdraft

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position as you I lost my riding horse to a colic type problem 6 weeks ago, he was only 14 and it was a big shock . I have my retired horse here at home so I had to source a companion for him very quickly. I was lucky cos I'm able to ride this horse although he has been out of work for a couple of years . If I didn't have him I would seriously be going crazy. I'm trawling the ads and I do think horses are dropping in price abit so although the temptation is to rush out and buy the first vaguely suitable animal I'm confident that something will come up. I think the price of fuel will have a big impact it's up to 1.75 a litre here now . Keep looking & keep calm not easy I know x

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Sorry you lost your old horse.

I wish you all the best in your new search. We modified ours a few times, then sort of went back the original brief. Not quite what we were looking for but we finally added to the herd a couple of weeks ago. It's taken about a year!!

Word of mouth and local wanted ads are your best way forward in the current climate I think.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm mentally preparing myself for Old Horse's death, probably from colic. He's 30, semi-retired, looks wonderful for his age and acts the fool on a daily basis, along with his equally aged relatives.
I won't be able to afford to buy another horse - Old Horse's gold-plated livery, plus the usual add-ons of responsible horse keeping, have kept savings thin to non-existent.
Old Horse is an exquisite example of old breeding lines. He's almost irreplaceable.
His type are fetching £15-20k as weanlings. No chance.
Although I might find a rescue to cosset and do ground work with.
I'll be quite happy using my lifetime experience to help people enjoy whatever they have.
There seem to be quite a number of people who have bought horses during lockdown without having any experience with either horses, riding or appropriate management.
The only drawback will be the necessity to keep a civil tongue and pleasant expression at all times . . .

Ratface

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position as you I lost my riding horse to a colic type problem 6 weeks ago, he was only 14 and it was a big shock . I have my retired horse here at home so I had to source a companion for him very quickly. I was lucky cos I'm able to ride this horse although he has been out of work for a couple of years . If I didn't have him I would seriously be going crazy. I'm trawling the ads and I do think horses are dropping in price abit so although the temptation is to rush out and buy the first vaguely suitable animal I'm confident that something will come up. I think the price of fuel will have a big impact it's up to 1.75 a litre here now . Keep looking & keep calm not easy I know x
I'm so sorry for the recent loss of your riding horse. The horrible hollow left is almost unendurable. I hope you find a nice horse soon.

nutjob

Visit site
I spent a year looking for another horse and eventually bought a 2.5yo direct from the breeder as I had to have one of mine PTS and it left the other on his own. In the long term I have a better horse for the money. Definitely better to wait for the right horse that to rush into one with problems, there are plenty being sent from Ireland atm with various issues that are not always picked up on vettings. Dodgy dealers is very valuable and I would suggest putting your own post asking about the seller before viewing. Many of the common dodgy people now use other names or get their staff / family members / friends to sell on their behalf. There are also a lot of private sellers who will sell on a horse with issues that they bought unseen from a dealer - because I was looking for a while I saw a few come back on the market with another seller a few months later. Good luck you're not alone with this problem.

Leandy

Visit site
Word of mouth is still the best route for a genuine horse. Don't just look for adverts. It has always IMHO taken a number of months or more to find the right horse. Nothing has changed in that regard. Be persistent and filter carefully what you are prepared to view so you don't waste time. Take your time to find the perfect one for you. It is out there so long as you are clear in your own mind what you are looking for and are realistic and capable of being decisive. Do your research. Don't buy unseen. Don't part with any money until you are sure it is the horse for you. Don't expect a bargain basement price. Don't panic because others appear to get there before you. What will be will be is my motto! Good luck!

lme

Visit site
I would think about which requirements you are prepared to flex on. I struggled to find what I wanted (a nice natured, straightforward SJ bred mare of around 16:2) that was sound and in budget

The horse I bought I bought is incredibly sweet, and a mare, but I compromised on size (a hand taller than I wanted), age (a year younger) and type (she’s an ISH).