looking to buy a youngster, advice please

Curragh

Visit site
Hi,

I think I have convinced OH that I need another horse and have always wanted a youngster.

How much would I have to spend to buy some thing bred for eventing?

What blood lines should I avoid? What breed?
Would prefer a yearling or 2 year old, gelding, grey or a smart coloured.

I'm going to be fussy as I'm in this for the long haul!

Is there any thing else I should be thinking about?

Any advice welcomed :)

BigRed

Visit site
If you are in the west country you should contact the Brendon Hill Stud, they have been breeding eventing youngstock for years.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I'm not so sure as to which blood lines you should avoid, but which combinations of blood lines, if that makes sense. There are those mentally deranged stallions, which may occasionally be, through no fault of their own, in their current state, but when put to the right mares, will provide sane stock.

As a "for instance", we have a 2 yo filly. She's by Catherstone Dazzler, and out of a Weld mare. She's stunning, visually, and she can move, but I would only let her go to someone who was A/ experienced and B/ knew exactly what they are taking on. To the inexperienced, she's a delight, but I have my doubts. She will test the best, I suspect!!

Consider the combinations!!

Alec.

Curragh

Visit site
Thanks for that, I understand what you mean. I worked on a TB stud in New Zealand, one of the stallions was so nasty and passed that mean streak on to most of his off spring. I guess that was what I was getting at, which stallions, temperment wise, should I avoid? ,

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Only stallion I know of (having met a few) with a temperament I wouldn't breed from/buy youngstock with his bloodline is Peppermill. Sure he has loads of ability but he doesn't half BITE, poor girl I was helping got her boob bitten and that was the second person he had bitten in less than 30 seconds.

cundlegreen

Visit site
You should certainly get in touch with Dalcotes stud.http://www.dalcotes.co.uk/ Angela doesn't charge the earth for her youngsters, and they are usually out of proven performers. Her stallions are very good types, and if you could find one by Parkmore Master, her young stallion, that may be an investment for the future

LynneB

Visit site
contact Henryhorn on here too, based in Devon Sue's family produce some lovely youngsters for eventing and the owners go back to her time and again to purchase more.

I have a lovely yearling gelding with good bloodlines and whose sire has some youngsters out proving themselves in competition in Europe. However, he is a blingy chestnut varying between regular and liver depending upon the season, so most definitely not grey :)

Faberge

Visit site
Only stallion I know of (having met a few) with a temperament I wouldn't breed from/buy youngstock with his bloodline is Peppermill. Sure he has loads of ability but he doesn't half BITE, poor girl I was helping got her boob bitten and that was the second person he had bitten in less than 30 seconds.

Ditto - he nearly took my arm off in the stables at a stallion parade last year!

Bedlam

Visit site
I would go along to a few Futurity's and then make the trip to Osberton maybe to see the young horse classes. You'll then be able to start forming an idea about the sort of breeding that produces the sort of horse that you like.

Have a look on the BEF website for the futurity results from previous years and look at the stallion and dam rankings as well - then go looking for youngsters bred the same way maybe?

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Ditto - he nearly took my arm off in the stables at a stallion parade last year!

I very clearly remember the girl getting her boob bitten and Tullis getting a nip as well, he did say he was a bit of a barsteward temperament wise but obviously had lots of ability.

OP - I hope you find a lovely youngster, there are some cracking ones out there!

Curragh

Visit site
Thanks every one for your advice. Seen some lovely looking youngsters on those websites. But I haven't seen the 'one' yet! The search continues :)

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I agree with Alec, we have two by Matinee du Madon and although uber talented test the best of riders. Nothing would induce me to use that horse (were he alive) again, though one went out this week and won his dressage test with 72 % !
A similar problem sometimes happens with another West Country stallion who sired dressage horses.
Some lines do produce hot types too, our broodmares do not mix well with those as having Knock Boy on their breeding they can be fizzy to start with. I could name others
but really you need to look and hopefully ride the siblings or if capable the stallion.(we offer that here). Talk on facebook or here to owners of any siblings and you soon get an idea of what you want. (no, I don't have any youngsters for sale at present, ours are so nice we keep 'em until 4 !)