loose box definition

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just out of interest, and this is probably me playing devils advocate. Where would you store hay if it wasn't in one of the stables? I imagine you'll get really good advice from the BHS legal line and be able to dispute quite a bit.

But the valuers that come around are probably given the brief of 'Charge the highest rates you can' (or at least that's what it sometimes feels like). And if you have no where else to store your hay, then by definition those stables are your hay barn.

Good luck, it sounds like they will hopefully have to come and re value cause they've been a bit daft.

Also just out of interest, what would you say you have vs what they say you have? I'm just being nosey, it'd be nice to see how big the difference is (I'm guessing it's considerable). Particularly if they do end up coming back and re-valuing in line with what you're suggesting.

We would have to get hay delivered weekly and store it outside, but technically as others said it is just stables used as a hay area, otherwise you could use a horsebox to store hay in and that would be classed as a haybarn. Since last night we are wondering if it as the diy horses hay 20 bales in two 10 stacks of ten in the front of the stables is what they are calling a hay barn as he never mentioned the side of the stables only the front area where two diy have their hay and feed bins and chest freezers. In which case we could give up one of the hay stables for the diy and thus no hay in front of the stables to call it a hay barn as his measurements that is why we need to talk to them but they are like hens teeth as no telephone we can call them except an answer machine which tells u you to go online and fill form out which we will do over weekend.

I cannot believe that is the case with the stables called a hay barn as he never measured them and they bill you for each square metre, so how would he come up with a costing of £ 1800 a year for a haybarn.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Challenge this. Write a letter to the head of department and maybe contact your local Council and back it up with the BHS. This is just silly.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Here is the wiki definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable

I would tend to agree that the word "stable" originally meant the building in which a number of horses were housed.

Within that building there would have been stalls (where the horses were tethered) and looseboxes (where the horses were loose).

Over time we have started using the term "stable" for the actual space that one horse occupies.

I'm surprised that you are being charged more for a storage space than you would be for a horse space, as the potential for making money out of the space would be greater if you had a livery in it than a mattress.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Here is the wiki definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable

I would tend to agree that the word "stable" originally meant the building in which a number of horses were housed.

Within that building there would have been stalls (where the horses were tethered) and looseboxes (where the horses were loose).

Over time we have started using the term "stable" for the actual space that one horse occupies.

I'm surprised that you are being charged more for a storage space than you would be for a horse space, as the potential for making money out of the space would be greater if you had a livery in it than a mattress.
Yes I know, and not 1 stable that had horses in or either the 3 others vacant apart from the mattress one, were being charged a rate either only this one stable.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well he sounds like a total numpty then, and I would be getting him (or preferably someone else) back to re-do it :)

Wasn't even English so I doubt he has ever been close to a horse anyway. Had no concept of the stable looking like the others that are available to rent by a livery, as all nice Equimat rubber mats, a nice new drinker and hayrack

When he first arrived and did the intro, he point to a stable block and said is that a stable!!!!!!!!

We will sit down over weekend and go through the form, will be long and tiring

Last edited:

Casey76

Visit site
The Wiki definition rather contradicts itself, with the picture of the horse loose in the 'stall', which isn't what we would call a stall.

But they call (loose)boxes “stalls” in the US.

I agree with the others though, a stable is a building which may contain one or more loose boxes or stalls or a mixture of the two.

Stalls are still frequently seen in France, especially at gîtes, and they are much smaller than the ones in the photo! The pony stalls at my old riding school couldn’t have been more than 3 feet across and 5 feet long, and the ponies lived in them, only been taken to the water trough twice a day.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
But they call (loose)boxes “stalls” in the US.

I agree with the others though, a stable is a building which may contain one or more loose boxes or stalls or a mixture of the two.

Stalls are still frequently seen in France, especially at gîtes, and they are much smaller than the ones in the photo! The pony stalls at my old riding school couldn’t have been more than 3 feet across and 5 feet long, and the ponies lived in them, only been taken to the water trough twice a day.

Yes I know that in the US a stall is what in UK is normally known as a loose box, however that does't help the OP in her dealings with the official, who doesn't seem to know what he is looking at. Certainl the stalls that I remember ponies living in were a similar size to those that you mention, they definitely had no room to turn round. However the ponies that I remember using them were mainly in them during the day at weekends, when they were not being used in RS lessons and lied out otherwise.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Your tale is a fine example of Jumped Up Little Hitlerism - it's rife in all government departments large and small - particularly, the small = their H.R. people have defined it as requiste!

Every one of them are true Blackwhiters (1984) they not only tell you black is white - but KNOW that it's true! All of them are dyed-in-the-wool Horseyfolk haters - their mission is to make an already difficult and expensive life moreso. And should your H.O. decide to burn down the "haybarn" I have to inform you that this would contravene the JULH Environmental Directives, unless you can prove all the wood was grown on your land! Haha!!

All these guys are on the lookout for anything they can levy additional fees for - and despite it working the other way round in theory - they won't help you one bit.

Remove the hay to a stack and put sheets over it and horses in its place.

If you haven't already done so - record all meetings - quite easy these days with smart phones etc., put a very small notice on your front gate saying that everybody entering agrees to video and voice. Distract the guy, never let him decide the course of your meeting, almost as soon as he arrives, get someone to bring you out tea & bikkies and invite him to join you - have five minute conversation along the lines of gowon, gowon, gowon. Talk about the weather, where you went on holiday (or would like to go if you could afford to after the expense of keeping horses) - excuse yourself for the loo, drag it out. Then hit him with 1001 questions - have pages of the stuff handy but out of sight. Have a tape measure if he does and photograph the measurements. Just as he's leaving ask him about all the redundancies in the council and if he's at all worried about his job?