Loose Schooling..

silly_billy

Visit site
Whenever I see horses being loose schooled I wonder how my boy would take to it.. only problem is i've never tried.

He's 13 so no youngster (probably had a go when he was younger) but how do I go about it?!

We have a small paddock which I think would be perfect but the walls aren't that high - he could just pop out if loose schooled but not sure if he would.(have a slightly bigger paddock which is properly senced) Also, is it beneficial for there muscles or confidence?

For our first time should I lunge, but I guess that completely defeats the object?

Any advice welcomed!!

Thank you!

ellie_e

Visit site
Great confidence builder, started doing it with mine, he loves it, 3rd go yesterday and hes now doing it all by himself!! jumping scary yellow horse eating blocks which normally he would freak out, really good providing he cant escape! :)

bran mash

Visit site
Useful if you are confident as to what you want to achieve...

At some pro yards, i have witnessed grooms asked to stand in the middle of the arena, cracking the whip "loose schooling" a horse that is tearing about at top speed, screeching to a halt at the gate/fence, looking confused and stressed and likely to injure itself!

On the other hand, if you have a lovely relationship with your horse and he knows your voice well, it can be wonderful!!
Play games and see how he interacts with you. jumping lanes are great - i find it so interesting to see what they do when there's no rider to worry about!

Have fun!

HeatherAnn

Visit site
@bran mash I've been asked to do this a couple of times. One was at a riding school with awful turnout in the winter. They would chuck 4 or 5 horses in the freezing indoor school and then chase them round, no warm up and then throw them back in stable.

Auslander

Visit site
At some pro yards, i have witnessed grooms asked to stand in the middle of the arena, cracking the whip "loose schooling" a horse that is tearing about at top speed, screeching to a halt at the gate/fence, looking confused and stressed and likely to injure itself!

That is not a pro yard then. It is simply a place where people make money out of horses.

Polotash

Visit site
I'm always a bit dubious about loose schooling... I prefer to lunge.

Ditto when I've seen it done the horses just appear to whizz about and stop and start, I'm not sure that teaches them anything.

sakura

Visit site
my mare enjoys the occasional loose schooling session, but I agree, it needs to be a controlled way of exercising/teaching the horse, not sending a confused horse galloping round the place

jumping lanes are great, they're her favourite part :D