Lorry Breakdown / Recovery - alternatives to NFU?

starryeyed

Visit site
Can anybody recommend a reliable lorry breakdown/recovery company? We're currently with NFU after hearing endless good reviews, but after waiting at the side of a busy road for 5 1/2 hours in the dark in below freezing temperatures before being rescued we don't have an awful lot of faith in them any more!!
We're in Shropshire, not sure whether our location has anything to do with the length of time it took for someone to rescue us (perhaps we're miles from anyone?!) We have a 7.5t lorry and it would need to be a company who would also arrange to transport the horses somewhere safe if history repeats itself and the lorry can't move any further by itself.

Thank you x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
We use PRP rescue. I've had them out a couple of times (not for anything serious both times it was tyre changes). They've attended quickly, ie a local garage has. Can't say what they would be like if the horses (or cattle or sheep which is why we got it initially) need recovered but to be honest I can imagine this is probably quite tricky to arrange so I think I would accept a bit of a wait.

starryeyed

Visit site
Thank you both - luckily when we were left stranded we had nothing on board but it's our worst nightmare to break down with my horse as she tends to lose her mind when kept waiting and don't think we'd have a horse or lorry left if we had to wait that length of time with her inside!!! I think NFU and OHTO both use PRP so hopefully theyd be able to attend quickly if we had horses with us.

popsdosh

Visit site
We use PRP rescue. I've had them out a couple of times (not for anything serious both times it was tyre changes). They've attended quickly, ie a local garage has. Can't say what they would be like if the horses (or cattle or sheep which is why we got it initially) need recovered but to be honest I can imagine this is probably quite tricky to arrange so I think I would accept a bit of a wait.

That( PRP ) is who NFU use as do most insurance companies. I have always found NFU very good when they have been needed . Did it really take them 51/2 hrs to get anybody to you? Arranging onward travel for the horses can take a while to arrange as particularly evenings and at night drivers hours can sometimes cause difficulties. Having read your later post I think you would have got a lot quicker call if you had got horses on.

Last edited: