Lorry costs

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Hey guys, I've only ever had trailers but am hoping to pick up a 3.5 tonne conversion shortly. No idea where to start with budgeting for the running costs/upkeep? I know plating is like an MOT, I'd have a yearly service then tax and insurance...Would anyone mind giving me a rough idea of what these are likely to cost? I know it's massively variable of course.

Re insurance, 32 with a clean licence and no prior claims/accidents so hopefully not extortionate ;)

be positive

Visit site
The basic costs are not that variable, insurance is fairly standard because of the low risk low use, around £250, tax will depend on the van but in line with normal vehicle tax. It will go into a normal garage for an MOT, your main outgoings will be doing any work required but if you buy well and get lucky they wont be too high.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
When you are looking don’t be tempted by a shiny new paint job... the most important thing is to determine what the vehicle was before it was converted... a recent shiny new conversion could have been remade from a end of life worn out commercial van...
If it was me i’d be asking to see the service history of the vehicle before conversion... otherwise you could have a very shiny new truck that will cost you fortunes having the important mechanical bits repaired or replaced!
Look for a low mileage van that was converted from almost new....it will pay in the long run!
Alternatively source the good van yourself and then pay to have it converted! But make sure it’s capable and suitable for conversion!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Make sure you check out the payload, and in conversions the strength of floor and bulkhead. There have been plenty of horror stories about the poor build of some of these lorries.

BethanT

Visit site
If it is a 3.5ton a normal MOT is all you need not plaiting, so bit cheaper there!

I don't have a 3.5t but my friend does, and she went up to West Wilts from West Devon on £40!

Running cost wise the 3.5T are pretty cheap in comparison to their larger counterparts like 7.5T.

The most important thing as mention is to check the payload. Get the vehicle weighed on a proper weigh bridge. They may look they are stalled for 2 16.2 but guarantee they can't carry them weight wise. You must remember to factor in horses, tack, hay, water, passengers and fuel. Same for all vehicles really. And look at how sturdy the build is. I opened the top up of one a few years ago and it fell on me and my friend! Turns out it was two basic hinges holding it on. Thank god we didn't have the ponies on at that point or we would have been screwed.

JulesRules

Visit site
I have a 7.5 tonne and although I've spent a fortune on it this summer (one thing after another!) I don't think it actually costs me any more than a 4x4 and trailer, although it does depend on whether you already run a 4x4 on a day to day basis. I have a fiat 500 so if I have a trailer also need a tow car so cost difference with lorry isn't that much more!

My insurance is £150 and breakdown cover adds another £150. (My RAC upgrade to cover equine breakdown in my trailer was £60, my trailer insurance £80 and my 4x4 insurance I can't remember although it was a limited miles policy but overall there wasn't much in it)

My tax on the lorry is £165 a year which was less than my 4x4 which was about £300!

If you can legally drive a 7.5 tonne it's worth considering as you get better value as there is a lower demand. Mine is pretty good on fuel. I've been out 3 times locally on £20 (once with two on board). The MOT on a 7.5 tonne is a bit more faff and more money (I had a pre mot inspection, a few minor jobs and the MOT and it cost about £500)

Make sure you check your payload. When I was looking I was amazed by the number of people who had no idea about their payload! "I've travelled two big hunters, "yes, but did you do so legally?" !!

I definitely recommend getting a pre purchase inspection fine. This saved me from biting an unsafe vehicle.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
I had a 3.5t until May this year, have gone back to a trailer as wasn't using it enough. Insurance and breakdown (breakdown cover is a must) approx £350 per year. Tax £240pa (mine was a P reg transit chassis). For a 3.5t it is MOT not plating, which is about £60. Servicing £150-£250 depending on minor/major and then I'd budget an additional £500pa for any extra bits you'd need doing for MOT etc.

Follysmum

Visit site
I sold my 3.5t this summer as I have a trailer and really wasn’t getting the use from it, was standing a lot which isn’t good for the vehicle. I worked out with tax , mot insurance etc it was costing me approx £80 a month just to keep, petrol it was pretty good.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I had a 3.5t until May this year, have gone back to a trailer as wasn't using it enough. Insurance and breakdown (breakdown cover is a must) approx £350 per year. Tax £240pa (mine was a P reg transit chassis). For a 3.5t it is MOT not plating, which is about £60. Servicing £150-£250 depending on minor/major and then I'd budget an additional £500pa for any extra bits you'd need doing for MOT etc.

I agree about pot for servicing and extras.

Mine is budgeted at £650 a year (test, tax, insurance and breakdown). It's an 08, brought by me in summer 2012 with full service history and receipts.
Plus 2 x services (full pre test service, plus 1 minor lube service)
Total annual budget from me is £1k before it turns a wheel.
Usually it's less, sometimes more (last year was 2 x tyres and then also the ruddy airbag sensor needed replacing, cost 250 for miniscule part!)

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I run a 4X4 as my day to day car, it's great for the kids/dogs (I work with dogs) and the horsey stuff as well as the obvious towing. BUT it's old, a 2000 Discovery and whilst I love it, seriously love it, it's starting to break down. It failed MOT spectacularly last week and is having work to bring it up to scratch...I might only get another year out of it hence considering a 3.5 tonne and picking up a cheap run around. I think I'd really miss having a big car though, especially with the aforementioned kids and dogs - I own three of each ;)

Maybe I'll upgrade to a nice double trailer instead? I really hate making decisions. Payload shouldn't pose too much of a problem, would be travelling my Highland who's too heavy at 560 ish and a Section A, how much do they weigh, 250?

I just want to make going out 'easier' but perhaps hitching up a nice new trailer would suffice? I don't know, rambling like crazy now - I'm sat in McDonald's surrounded by screaming kids and can't focus, lol.

AandK

Visit site
Be careful re payload. My 3.5t had about 900kg payload, so enough for one horse, me, kit and fuel and the occasional passenger but not a second horse. You need to remember passengers, fuel and kit in the weight of the load as well as the horses weight. Most 3.5t won't have the payload for 2, unless both small ponies.