Lorry has broken again. I am so done. Panicked trailer purchase imminent - any advice?

maya2008

Visit site
Have a Landrover Freelander that tows 2T and has a towbar. Need a trailer like yesterday as I desperately need to get the ponies out so they can continue to get fit for Spring. I am so done with the endless fixes on the lorry - it’s either going to be fixed and sold with full disclosure of history, or sold as is. It’ll be brilliant for someone who can do the work themselves, just old now and I don’t have the time to lose waiting for a slot at a garage every time it has a moment.

Was looking at Ifor 505s and Bateson Deauville? Would be for 640-700kg max of combined pony body weight. Has anyone had one of those and can tell me what to look out for? Or any other suggestions?

94lunagem

Visit site
I have an Ifor 511 now but used to have a Bateson Deauville. I loved it and would definitely recommend. I squeezed two 17hh sports horses in it and only changed it due to size and a tiny design fault for bigger horses. The model I had has a lip of metal in the middle at the top of the rear door. I had an iffy loader and he caught his face on it once while being an idiot and rushing out backwards, resulting in a vets bill and staples. But if you have ponies that lip will be high enough not to be a problem.

From memory it was 860kg unladen, so you should be fine with 700kg of ponies if you have a 2T capacity. Remember to factor in all your “stuff” in the weight too. I don’t know what weight a 505 is but a 511 is 1,000kg.

The other thing I prefer is the front ramp is curb side by default on Batesons. I used to go out a lot on my own and preferred to jockey door being drivers side, in case of an emergency I could access the trailer without having to go round the vehicle or over the hitch. Touch wood I’ve never had an emergency, but that was my logic.

I also sold mine for more than I bought it for (sold about 10 years ago).

maya2008

Visit site
My Freelander (older mark 1) could tow one 600kg in ifor 505 on flat but did struggle with hills!!
Ours, in an emergency, towed the horsebox last time it broke down, empty, up a fairly steep hill a couple of miles to a lay-by where it could safely wait for help to arrive and move it. The box weighs 2.4T empty. Freelander towed it like it wasn’t there. So hoping that means good things for trailer towing duties!

maya2008

Visit site
I have an Ifor 511 now but used to have a Bateson Deauville. I loved it and would definitely recommend. I squeezed two 17hh sports horses in it and only changed it due to size and a tiny design fault for bigger horses. The model I had has a lip of metal in the middle at the top of the rear door. I had an iffy loader and he caught his face on it once while being an idiot and rushing out backwards, resulting in a vets bill and staples. But if you have ponies that lip will be high enough not to be a problem.

From memory it was 860kg unladen, so you should be fine with 700kg of ponies if you have a 2T capacity. Remember to factor in all your “stuff” in the weight too. I don’t know what weight a 505 is but a 511 is 1,000kg.

The other thing I prefer is the front ramp is curb side by default on Batesons. I used to go out a lot on my own and preferred to jockey door being drivers side, in case of an emergency I could access the trailer without having to go round the vehicle or over the hitch. Touch wood I’ve never had an emergency, but that was my logic.

I also sold mine for more than I bought it for (sold about 10 years ago).
I have seen a Deauville two hours away. Trying to convince husband to go look!

Widgeon

Visit site
Ours, in an emergency, towed the horsebox last time it broke down, empty, up a fairly steep hill a couple of miles to a lay-by where it could safely wait for help to arrive and move it. The box weighs 2.4T empty. Freelander towed it like it wasn’t there.
They are quite amazing things aren't they!

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
I have a Deauville and absolutely love it - especially if you can get it with the barn doors. Tows like a dream and ponies travel well in it. It is compact, so with 2 equines onboard it is tight to unload anything much over 13.2 (and sensible) from the right hand side with something already in the left hand side (if that makes sense).

mustardsmum

Visit site
Just check the panels on any 505 - they have a life span and after 15/20 years start to delaminate. All mine went at the same time, and cost me £1600 to replace one side and both ramps. One side panel wasn’t so bad and will be replaced this year. Test at the top of the panel as well as the bottom - if it’s soft (you can push the aluminium sheet and it feels hollow behind) you will need to replace it. The panels should be completely solid and if you tap them you will either feel they are solid or they will sound a bit dull and hollow. Check ramps at the hinge end when the ramp is down. Any softness at all and they will also need replacing. My trailer chap said really a trailer from the early 2000’s (mine was 2004) which had never had panels replaced, would probably need new panels by now especially if kept outside. But having said all that, the rest of the structure (all metalwork) of my near twenty year old trailer is in brilliant condition and my trailer guy said it would last another 20 years. There is a reason why you see so many 505’s and 510’s on the road, they really are workhorses. Compared to a friends later Ifor (506) I would def buy a 505.

maya2008

Visit site
I have a Deauville and absolutely love it - especially if you can get it with the barn doors. Tows like a dream and ponies travel well in it. It is compact, so with 2 equines onboard it is tight to unload anything much over 13.2 (and sensible) from the right hand side with something already in the left hand side (if that makes sense).
Current biggest traveller is a solid 13hh. Panicky ex feral won’t travel for six months more I think - she’s only 13.3hh but I guess I could reverse her out if needed?

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Current biggest traveller is a solid 13hh. Panicky ex feral won’t travel for six months more I think - she’s only 13.3hh but I guess I could reverse her out if needed?

I have had a 16hh and a 13.2 in no problem it’s just that there’s not room to lead a bigger right hand horse across the front of the left hand horse - so you need to unload left first (if that makes sense).
I have the barn doors on the back which I love for motorways because they come so high that the ponies aren’t bothered by lorries behind - but if you are going to be backing a pony out they are probably less good because it’s either a step down or the short steep ramp (which I never use - mine step in).

maya2008

Visit site
Has anyone had a Fautras Provan trailer with no ramps, just step on/off? There are two near me and just wondering what they are like!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Has anyone had a Fautras Provan trailer with no ramps, just step on/off? There are two near me and just wondering what they are like!

Yes I have.

Lovely robust trailers, I really rate them, and not easy to find in the UK any more. Nice and roomy for ponies.

The no ramp thing...really good for sticky loaders that get stuck on a ramp usually, as once theve got 2 feet in its easier to keep going forwards than backwards.

I've never had an issue with not having a ramp, but the biggest ive had in mine was 14.3hh. I think it was @Annagain who had one panic unloading but I'm not sure if hers was the Provan or the Oblique.

maya2008

Visit site
Yes I have.

Lovely robust trailers, I really rate them, and not easy to find in the UK any more. Nice and roomy for ponies.

The no ramp thing...really good for sticky loaders that get stuck on a ramp usually, as once theve got 2 feet in its easier to keep going forwards than backwards.

I've never had an issue with not having a ramp, but the biggest ive had in mine was 14.3hh. I think it was @Annagain who had one panic unloading but I'm not sure if hers was the Provan or the Oblique.

I was interested in part because I have had a pony skin their leg taking a misstep off a ramp when unloading forwards on a standard trailer. It is why we went for a box afterwards. That pony is gone now, but I was just thinking that surely the lack of ramp would stop that happening? My husband thinks the ability to reverse out would be handy when parking at shows.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Go for it.. I tow 1 horse with my FL2 (combined weight 1500kg) without any issue. I have a 506, seen some 505s for sale for really good prices.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I had a Pegasus Beta, not sure they make them any more, had a tack locker and was an awesome trailer. IW might hold their value and somehow be "industry standard" but I'd go independent suspension every time. Step up wouldn't worry me either, as we're unusual in this country in having ramps.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If I'm just travelling Bo, I take out the partition, and there is plenty of room to turn him around in side and walk out the back if i need to. He's a very chunky Fell pony.

Hope the viewing goes well!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Deposit put down, collecting tomorrow 😁! Comes with hitch lock and wheel lock which is handy. Anyone got any recommendations for a tracking device and trailer insurance? My Horsebox is with NFU, but they don't seem to do trailer insurance. Trailer will be kept at my home, not on a yard.
My livestock trailer is insured with NFU.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Deposit put down, collecting tomorrow 😁! Comes with hitch lock and wheel lock which is handy. Anyone got any recommendations for a tracking device and trailer insurance? My Horsebox is with NFU, but they don't seem to do trailer insurance. Trailer will be kept at my home, not on a yard.
They do trailer insurance, ours is insured with NFU. But we have an existing horse policy too which is why they agreed to insure the trailer…it’s worth asking them.

We have a datatag system on ours (the little microdots) and it helps lower the premiums with some companies, as well as 2 locks…check if the insurance specifies the type of wheel clamp or hitch lock because some do x