Lorry issues :(

BethanT

Visit site
First time lorry owner here, and so far its been great!

Bough the lorry off someone I knew, and I have had zero issues with it since I bought it 9 months ago. 2002 Ford Iveco 7.5t

However, Monday I went to go and move a horse for a friend. Started up the engine, made sure the pressure on the air brakes was up where it needed to be, and off we went. Arrived at her yard, switched the engine off, loaded up the horse (took about 15 mins to get everything together and loaded) then switched back on again and made our way back to the other yard. After driving up the lane, I needed to pull over to a stop for some traffic, and when I went to move again it wouldn't go, it was then that noticed that the air break pressure was below 8 on the gauge, so I waiting and got the pressure back up again and it was fine.

About 1 mile away from home I saw that the temp gauge was sky high and the red warning light was one, and the oil pressure had dropped. So now I am absolutely bricking myself that the engine has massively overheated and it is totally f@#ked. I drove home at a snails pace in the hope that it wouldn't cause much damage.

Now I will add that this was in the evening, and so it was about 1 degrees, so blimmin cold!

I've since checked the oil and water, and I am ashamed to say that they are both empty, but there is a slight leak underneath the lorry which looks like oil. So unsure how long they would have been empty for, I used the lorry the weekend before with no signs of issues.

Someone pleeeeeeease tell me it is going to be OK, and just putting oil and water in will fix it?! Or have I totally wrecked it and have to spend a fortune on fixing it? Have others had anything similar with this type of lorry, and what was the issue?

I would rather spend the money on getting it fixed over trying to a new lorry, as I managed to get it way below market value due to knowing the person selling, and another lorry similar would cost more that I would have to spend.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
An oil leak is quite common in a 16 year old lorry, but I do check the oil every outing if it has been stood. Once every two weeks if it is regular use as long as there are no common issues.

I was told that if the lights come on you have already damaged the lorry, but one time we had a lorry at work overheat and the lights came on. We rested it so it cooled down and refilled everything and it was fine.

I think it is important not to refill with water when it is hot. I know someone who did that, filled the extra hot engine that was empty of water with cold water, and it warped the XXXXX (Cylinder head?).

With the box having brake problems (either compressor or leaks) plus no oil or water, plus an oil leak, I am afraid it seriously needs to see a mechanic.

Old boxes are not like cars they *should* have levels checked every day really.

BethanT

Visit site
Thanks Red-1, I've not put any water or oil in it yet, as waiting for mechanic to come out and have a look at it. Brake issue was sorted with a replacement valve, that has been the only thing and that was so easy to sort (OH's friend knows lorry's but isn't a mechanic, so was able to identify the problem and fix).

BethanT

Visit site
No I have made sure it doesn't get switched back on, YO wanted me to move it to other side of yard, but explained and told her that I wouldn't be moving it until I knew what was wrong.

maisie06

Visit site
Just to give you some hope - I had an old trooper that boiled itself dry after a hose came off....I left it expecting it to be beyond repair, and refilled the water the next day and it carried on working as normal, hopefully the mechanic can find some answers and you can get it sorted, I'm sure it's just a few minor problems and will soon be up and running, those cargo engines are quite forgiving.

BethanT

Visit site
Just to give you some hope - I had an old trooper that boiled itself dry after a hose came off....I left it expecting it to be beyond repair, and refilled the water the next day and it carried on working as normal, hopefully the mechanic can find some answers and you can get it sorted, I'm sure it's just a few minor problems and will soon be up and running, those cargo engines are quite forgiving.

I had hoped this was the case, from a quick flick through of some forums, the Iveco gauges can sometimes be way off. I mean it was less than 30 mile round trip with one horse - albeit 17.2. What I think has happened is the water has frozen due to lack of antifreeze and hasn't able to get around the system. It has been left since Monday, mechanic hoping to come out tomorrow provided weather isn't too bad!

Almost glad weather is bad as was meant to be show jumping this weekend, but with the weather I wouldn't be now anyway.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had hoped this was the case, from a quick flick through of some forums, the Iveco gauges can sometimes be way off. I mean it was less than 30 mile round trip with one horse - albeit 17.2. What I think has happened is the water has frozen due to lack of antifreeze and hasn't able to get around the system. It has been left since Monday, mechanic hoping to come out tomorrow provided weather isn't too bad!

Almost glad weather is bad as was meant to be show jumping this weekend, but with the weather I wouldn't be now anyway.

No antifreeze could have caused a problem if the water froze, as obviously ice takes more space than water and it cold have cracked something. Best course of action is what you are doing, and fingers crossed it is nothing serious.

BethanT

Visit site
This is also a fear of mine, that if water has some how got into the oil reservoir, frozen and caused that to crack and cause the slight leak I can see underneath.....

maisie06

Visit site
This is also a fear of mine, that if water has some how got into the oil reservoir, frozen and caused that to crack and cause the slight leak I can see underneath.....

The slight oil leak has probably been there for a while - they often go unoticed when the lorry is stood for a while, especially in winter when it's too dark to notice the underneath. Hope all goes well.

Bob notacob

Visit site
If you still had oil pressure ,even if low ,then it is unlikely that you have done the bearings and crank. Oil not showing on dipstick but gauge showing pressure is acceptable . Red oil light on , dead engine.Master warning light on and temperature high could mean one of two things. No water and possibly cracked head/block , or water system iced up (radiator goes first)The second option is more likely and is by far the better option. I suspect you might just get away with this . Top up oil , add antifreeze till full (or at least 1 gallon antifreeze. thgen run the thing. Check that nothing is leaking and take for a very local test drive.

popsdosh

Visit site
If you still had oil pressure ,even if low ,then it is unlikely that you have done the bearings and crank. Oil not showing on dipstick but gauge showing pressure is acceptable . Red oil light on , dead engine.Master warning light on and temperature high could mean one of two things. No water and possibly cracked head/block , or water system iced up (radiator goes first)The second option is more likely and is by far the better option. I suspect you might just get away with this . Top up oil , add antifreeze till full (or at least 1 gallon antifreeze. thgen run the thing. Check that nothing is leaking and take for a very local test drive.

Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :) Top up and running is not likely to do more damage so there is not much downside. However it will tell you a lot about where the issue is. Obviously if the water is already pouring out of an orifice you dont need to run it. That engine is actually about as bombproof as they get and have very few mechanical issues. The temp gauge not working is not so much of a problem as most rely on water contact to register.
When you take out the dip stick is the oil grey ? Air brake issue also likely due to ice in the system ! when did you last vent the tanks of water?

Last edited:

Bob notacob

Visit site
Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :)
[/QUOTE]
Hi Popsdosh ,its only me Mike 007. I have had to re register as I can no longer recover my password as Orange have discontinued their email service and the messages from HHO keep going to a defunct address.

BethanT

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Mechanic still not been :( says he will go out tomorrow.

Checked Oil, and there is a tiny amount on the end of the dipstick. Looks OK, so doesn't seems as though water has got in there.

Phew, so long as a haven't totally buggered my engine it'll be OK. I had a feeling they could be quite robust.

Think with the cold weather it has definitely frozen, so anti-freeze, oil and water should fix it. Fingers crossed!

popsdosh

Visit site
Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :)
Hi Popsdosh ,its only me Mike 007. I have had to re register as I can no longer recover my password as Orange have discontinued their email service and the messages from HHO keep going to a defunct address.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was in humour ,I thought you were trying to hide your identity! LOL

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Mechanic still not been :( says he will go out tomorrow.

Checked Oil, and there is a tiny amount on the end of the dipstick. Looks OK, so doesn't seems as though water has got in there.

Phew, so long as a haven't totally buggered my engine it'll be OK. I had a feeling they could be quite robust.

Think with the cold weather it has definitely frozen, so anti-freeze, oil and water should fix it. Fingers crossed!

Have you put any water in yet as you will most likely have blown something hence the sudden lose of water. most likely the rad as it is the weakest point. If your lucky a hose.

Last edited:

BethanT

Visit site
Have you put any water in yet as you will most likely have blown something hence the sudden lose of water. most likely the rad as it is the weakest point. If your lucky a hose.

No I haven't dared touch it to be honest.

Totally clueless when it come to the mechanics of it all, and feeling rather foolish. Will definitely be checking EVERYTHING before I use it now.