Lorry loading training

itroteverywhere

Visit site
Are there any trainers out there that do lorry loading training who will come to your yard, preferably with a lorry (although not essential)? We're based in Oxfordshire and I'm thinking it would be beneficial to have someone come to us. From my quick google search, most of the 'good' ones with an online presence only take on clients that are prepared to send their horse away, which I don't want to do.

My young horse has travelled a minimal number of times and the only time with me so far was when we went to pick him up and he was ok about it all things considered but had to be coaxed in and I have decided that I would rather have it done properly by a professional that really knows what they're doing so that he's set up for life (I hope!).

Has anyone done anything similar with their own and how did it work out?

cauda equina

Visit site
I had Richard Maxwell for a bad loader, but what he did was just the start of it
He was here for a day, and left me with instructions to load load load load load until it became second nature for both me and the horse
RM got the horse loading, but it was my job to keep him loading

MissTyc

Visit site
In my area - not near you, sorry! - there are a few professional transports with fantastic horsemanship skills who will take "loading training" bookings. I've seen some real success stories at a fraction of the cost of a trainer. Could be worth looking into?

j1ffy

Visit site
I have used Kelly Marks and a friend has used Michael Peace (we’re near Wantage in Oxon), both with great results! Both were willing to come out and do one or two sessions.

J1993

Visit site
My friend had Patrick gracey out who was fantastic. He said she needed to practice regularly which she did at the time. 2 years on and went to go somewhere and her horse wouldn't load. 2 hours we tried. She could get Patrick out again and he would 100% sort it out but she hasn't got any way to practice now so she said there was no point.

J1993

Visit site
also just to add you say your horse is a youngster. Mine is 4 now and only went off the yard to go to and from summer turnout. Was OK to load. Now we are training she is on the trailer at least once a week if not twice and walks straight on. Went through a period where she kept stopping at the bottom of the ramp but within another 4 weeks walked straight on and off again. I do think its all about how regularly you go out too.