Lorry Plating Question

DarkHorseB

Visit site
My lorry was due in for annual plating by 31/10. Due to the local test centre being very busy we could not get a date till 6/11. Someone told me if it is booked in you are still okay to use and drive however I thought it would only be ok to take to the test centre?
Anyone know the definitive answer?
Thanks in advance

ROG

Visit site
Either it is currently legal or it is not - there is no grey area in law

If the plating is the same as a car MOT and its run out then it is not road legal

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
DarkHorse
It's as ROG said. You cannot use it without the MOT except to drive it to and from a prebooked MOT and maybe to a prebooked appointment to a garage to get work done on it (don't quote me on that last one though). Basically it's same rules as car MOT.

Maisie2

Visit site
As well as VOSA centres there are also designated garages which can do the testing, you could ring one of the lorry companies near you they could probably tell you where they are, although as Popsdosh says you are lucky it's such a short wait, round here it's usually 5 or 6 weeks!

dieseldog

Visit site
It is not a bad thing having it done on the 6th. As it now won't run out until 30 Nov 14 so you get an extra month. Having it done at a garage is about an extra£50.

How many people are going to be affected by vosa closing a lot ofthe test centres from 1st Jan ? Bristol and Calne are both shutting for testing. You will have to use private garages which is so much more expensive.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Yes I know it costs more but from many years going there have decided it is easier and gives better chance of first time pass!
It was booked in a few weeks ago so probably took 4 weeks to get a date and that was a cancellation.
Thanks for replies. It is what I thought so won't be using it till after the test.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I actually forgot when my lorry was due its MOT. I drove it for 3 months without - and parked next to VOSA at an agricultural show for 3 days and they didn't notice.

I was so relieved that they hadn't when i did find out, and the lorry was MOT'd straight away. how lucky was I?

now its in big black letters in my diary!!!

I'm pretty sure you cannot drive without MOT. so really as ROG says (the font of all lorry knowledge!)

popsdosh

Visit site
Yes I know it costs more but from many years going there have decided it is easier and gives better chance of first time pass!
It was booked in a few weeks ago so probably took 4 weeks to get a date and that was a cancellation.
Thanks for replies. It is what I thought so won't be using it till after the test.

Actually the test is exactly the same and same personel so chances of passing exactly the same in theory but you will be £50 worse off.Just to clarify test is by VOSA staff .