Losing a young dog

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
How do you get your head around it?

My three year old collie was pts last week. Hip dysplasia and sponilitis and pain relief wasn't working and his behaviour becaus he was in pain as changing. I couldn't put him through any more so I called it, vet agreed.

But my head keeps saying he had only turned three a few days before, I don't understand.

All my other dogs were well into double figures when we lost them and as I'm writing this the Caviler King Charles who is 14 this year and still looking good is sat next to me.

I just don't know how to deal with the fact he was so young.

Any tips would be greatly apriciated.

SadKen

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't have any wisdom to offer, but just wanted to say that I don't think it's ever easy to come to terms with a situation like this. You have obviously offered your boy love and care for the whole time he has been with you, and put him first at the end; a lot of dogs live a long life without having a caring human to do all that for them.

I'm sure someone will be along with some more practical advice soon. Hugs from me in the meantime.

Bellasophia

Visit site
There isn't an easy answer to this one...I lost a three year old dog ten years ago and still think of her with a heavy heart.She was a dogue de Bordeaux,CDx trained,and had a second op on her Cruciate ligament at 3 yrs..the day after the op she died from a blood clot...the. Vet didn't come out to my house call the night before as it was new yrs eve...he sent a junior vet at 9 am the next morning and I had to tell him shed died in my arms,after a night of hell, at seven.There is no doubt in my mind they let my dog down.we had even flown back with the dog from USA to Italy to have this vet do the op!
in your case your poor boy had very little possibility of recovery from the spondyliosis and the pain would only have worsened.You have to take some comfort in the fact he is pain free and the pain is now being carried by you as you come to terms with her loss.You absolutely did your best for your dog and should realise you've done what a really caring owner should do and put his needs before your own.
I have a beautiful photo of my darling girl which does bring me some comfort and I cherish her memory,but I don't think you ever really do get over the regret that they didn't have a longer life.In the meantime,my focus is on my two young dogs and I keep happy knowing they are full of life and vitality. I guess I live in the present now rather than looking back too much.

Last edited:

Chiffy

Visit site
So sorry Sc for your loss. Our dogs don't stay with us long enough even when they live to a good age. You can't help but think 'what a waste' and what a lovely life they could have had. I have a 15 year old and its going to be just as bad even though I know she has had a great life.
Look at the post I LOVE MY DOG and scroll down to applecart14's post It will make you cry but it might help you too. HUGSxx

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I am sorry I dont have an answer, but I share your pain.
I lost a Collie at 18 months old - she started having fits at 9 months, after many months of tests, medication, changing medication etc we thought we had cracked it ..... then one morning I found her dead having obviously been fitting dreadfully.
I hope you have some wonderful memories to treasure. Xx

Annette4

Visit site
We lost our Rotti x just after her second birthday. Suspected brain tumour which we didn't investigate as her sudden change in behaviour (to aggression without warning) was not one we were happy to deal with until the diagnosis came back.

I still feel guilty, I still remember how scared she was and how happy go lucky she was on our last walk together.

With time, I know we made the right choice. I remember her fondly and I'm happy with our decision but it was still hard.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thank you all.

He knew what was coming, he was so cuddlely in the vets and he went so so quickly so I know it was right and he was okay with it it's just the fact he was so young.

Boxers

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. It's really hard to lose any animal when the are young. Feels such a waste. I had to have a just 5 yrl old horse PTS and I feel guilt everyday that his life was so short and he hadn't begun to live it yet, but I know that really it was the right thing.

Thoughts are with you, you did the right thing.

EllenJay

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this. You did exactly the right thing and can remember him happy rather than in lots of pain. Xx