Losing Mare and fostered foal

kazg07

Visit site
Hi
Just wanted to share my experience with others. My mare had her foal last Thursday and all appeared well. However, she subsequently developed colic and was referred to the veterinary hospital in Edinburgh. Unfortunately, she had a twisted gut and her stomach had ruptured and nothing could be done to save her so she was put to sleep. This was absolutely devastating. Fortunately, a foster mare was found for the foal at our local worldl horse welfare centre. This was my first and last experience of breeding, despite the vets indicating that the loss of my mare was nothing to do with the foal.

Here he is anyway -

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

kazg07

Visit site
Thanks for that - he was only 5 days old when these pics were taken. A few days after meeting his new mum who we were so fortunate to find

mrsbt

Visit site
Love his white face marking too, its similar to my foal.
He will change so much very quickly so keep taking lots of pics of him.

kazg07

Visit site
Yes it is the best thing for him and the foster mare - was great how they just took to each other straight away. He is an hour and a half drive away from me but really is in the best place. It has helped having him as has given me something i have had to focus on other than my loss.

kazg07

Visit site
It was pretty horrific as she was the only mare i have had and meant the world to me. He will be staying with me for life anyway and will be very loved

welshied

Visit site
So sorry you lost your mare, glad foal is doing well and at least you have a little part of her left. Your foal is beautiful by the way

eventrider23

Visit site
I am soo sorry to hear about your loss. It is always hard losing them. Soo glad baby is ok though and settled with his new mum...he is a beauty btw and I am sure you will have a brilliant life with him.

Gingerbear

Visit site
Honey I am sorry about your sad loss. I have been there and know how dreadful it is to lose some one so close. It made me sad to read your post as she was so your best friend. Just try to look forward - time helps and mum would want you to be happy and baby is so gorgeous he will do you both proud!

Vickijay

Visit site
How terrible. There cant be much worse. At least you have a foster mum and a beautiful baby. He is gorgeous and Im sure you will love him enough for you and your mare x

Rosehip

Visit site
So sorry for your loss! Your boy is a beauty, and at least you have him. I lost my mare when her colt was about 18months old through cancer, so although I didnt have the worry of a tiny foal, it was still a devastating loss. That was 6 years ago now and honestly time does help, you will be able to look back and smile at all the wonderful things you and your mare did together. Hugs for you and your precious boy, love eachother for your mares sake xxx

ottodyl1

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare. My mare had a twisted colon a few weeks ago but I was v lucky as she is doing well following surgery and baby is coping well with box rest. At least you have your lovely foal as a reminder of her. Good luck with him in the future.

Foxford

Visit site
Your mare looked lovely, I'm so sorry for your loss. My mare died a few years ago with a 3-week old foal at foot. It was a very distressing time but I got lots of help from others and we now have a lovely 2yo gelding. Best of luck with everything.

juliehannah58

Visit site
So sorry for your sad loss, however congratulations he is absolutely gorgeous. How is he bred?

Breeding is such a lottery and when you hear of these dreadful experiences it just makes it hit home how lucky it is to come out with a healthly and happy mum and baby combination.

I hope he brings you years of joy

kazg07

Visit site
My mare was 1/2 TB by Proud Knight (Sir Gaylord) and the stallion was Handsome Stranger(Hand in Glove).