Losing my riding mojo :(

Mince Pie

Visit site
I've just moved from one side of the country to the other and am quickly realising that things are done very differently here! I was truly spoiled in Surrey as most yards had great facilities, gorgeous hacking and finding a yard without a school was a rare thing. However, here schools are like rocking horse poo and all the hacking is round the lanes. To be fair the lanes are lovely and quiet and the drivers courteous, however I miss being able to put my earphone (just one!) in and go for a gallop - it's getting to the point where I am just not bothering to go to the yard. Pony is on livery so is being looked after, but my riding mojo seems to have up and left :( Anyone else been in the same boat, what did you do?

SpringArising

Visit site
In exactly the same boat. No words of advice I'm afraid but can empathise. A lack of facilities/nice yard does spoil things a lot.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I don't think so, I also have no transport and am in the middle of nowhere so finding anything within hacking distance could be tricky. It may be that a local farmer would let me use his field though so that might be an option. I guess it's just adjusting to a different way of doing things :( It's the lack of a school which is getting to me most, I really enjoy schooling and pony was heading back up to ele which is all out the window now.

ETA: Spring Arising, luckily I really like my yard but it is literally just a grass livery yard with a spare stable in case of emergencies.

Last edited:

bakewell

Visit site
Find out if you do have a hunt... a lot of people will trailer to it and that could enable you to get a lift (and make friends with others locally who might have suggestions). The secretary might be able to help you or put a small ad on the site.
Likewise get notices up in the local saddlery.
Have you checked for farm rides? Sometimes there are restrictions on headlands etc being used which can put farmers off.
Making some local horsey mates could help you find unexpected options.
Running through my planning for an arena I looked up similar ones in the area. Have a look under your postcode and see if there's planning for any. Then ask if you could use. You might be surprised at what is local and hidden.
Best of luck.

bakewell

Visit site
Thanks Bakewell, do you have a website I could use?

I might be missing something here (new user) but I'm not sure where you are? Happy to help but don't want to bombard you with wrong side of country.
We've had to move all over so I know the... ugh feeling.

edit: obv you can PM if better.

bakewell

Visit site
Aaaah I think your problem is the AONB preventing schools!

http://www.cornwalltrecgroup.co.uk/
I've never done this but they do get access to some lovely places and the opportunity for sharing trailer etc.

http://fourburrow.co.uk/
Think this is your local but if not they can point you in the right direction.
http://www.ch-frvh.com/staff-board

Cornwall West Penwith Bridleways Association
www.bhsaccesscornwall.org.uk/westpenwithbridleways
Contact Adrian Bigg: wpba@btinternet.com
01736 795098
Cornwall Gwinear and District Footpaths and Bridleways Association
Contact Zoe Rushforth: zoerushforth@aol.com
Cornwall Breage and Germoe Bridleways Association
Contact Maggie Kliskey: bgba@hotmail.co.uk
01736 711343
Cornwall Polgooth and District Bridleways
www.bhsaccesscornwall.org.uk/polgoothanddistrictbridleways

These chaps should have some info on more than just bridleways!

Hope this is of some help, all you need is one helpful person from the above and you'll be away.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
OP I've found being in your situation bearable but only just. Things I've done: unshod horse so had my canters up a hill on the deserted lanes, lots of long hacks with plenty of trotting, cantering on grass verge where there is one or in stubble fields, entering competitions within hacking distance just for something different to do and the chance for a jump. Ultimately though I like to canter and have a chance to relax so I really need a yard with bridleways hacking, a field to ride in at least in summer, private farm or woods hacking, a large arena, within hacking distance of competition venues or fun rides. There's nothing like a canter for blowing the cobwebs away :) . My least favourite thing is road hacking with traffic.

Tiffany

Visit site
Whereabouts are you? I'm sure there must be someone for a blast. When I moved on current yard I was concerned about the hacking but it's actually got some excellent rides that the locals have shown me

lurcherlu

Visit site
Where to in mid cornwall are you ? Bodmin moor endurance ride next Sunday the 27th they have pleasure rides its called Penpont pleasure ride and you don't need to be a member I was going but mines being a begger to load and I don't want to risk her not loading at Bodmin it'd be a three day hack home ;)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Where to in mid cornwall are you ? Bodmin moor endurance ride next Sunday the 27th they have pleasure rides its called Penpont pleasure ride and you don't need to be a member I was going but mines being a begger to load and I don't want to risk her not loading at Bodmin it'd be a three day hack home ;)

Lol! I'm in Nanpean, pony is near St Wenn. Am unfortunately working next Sunday but will try and see what I can do about changing days off if there is anything else on.

Bakewell, you are an utter star, thank you once again! Will have a good nosey through those links in the morning :)

Sugar_and_Spice, I did wonder about cantering on the lanes as pony is unshod. We have been doing sneaky canter transitions and once did canter home as he was being a twit so was either canter or extended trot, so thought canter was the lesser of two evils!

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I was in exactly the same position, and as a result I didn't ride my horses for 5 years. The roads where I lived were totally unsafe to ride on, and there were literally no bridleways to ride on so I just gave up. I've now moved to Aberdeenshire and to a great, supportive and encouraging yard and my mojo is back!

I feel really sad that I lost that 5 years, so try and find a way round your situation even if it means hiring a box and heading out somewhere where you can have a good blast. I'm assuming you've investigated riding clubs, cross country courses to hire, le trec competitions, that sort of thing? I wish you all the best.