Losing shoes?

TequilaMist

Visit site
Has anyone any ideas what I can do with my youngster. He has heartbars on front feet and his toes are cut short as trips a lot if slightly long none behind .His pedal bone is 'flatter' than it should be.He is sound as long as he has shoes on. He loses one every 10 days on average,you get one put on next the other shoe comes off sometimes even before the farriers put the first one back on!

Excelled himself today he has lost both! Only got them on a fortnight ago! Farrier due on scheduled visit on 27th/28th dec so not too long but its this stopping and starting affecting his schooling (he was only rebacked this year due to stifle op last year).Its always when am on hols so can't do anything with him!!!!

Have tried to continue when he loses shoe but he really needs them.Generally his actual hooves are good but continually pulling shoes off aren't doing them any favours.

Did look at those shoe secure but farrier didn't think it would work on him as he has quite a bit of support at heel so unsure if I would create another problem of grit/dirt getting between skin and shoe secure.

Anyone any suggestions?

ImmyS

Visit site
Has anyone any ideas what I can do with my youngster. He has heartbars on front feet and his toes are cut short as trips a lot if slightly long none behind .His pedal bone is 'flatter' than it should be.He is sound as long as he has shoes on. He loses one every 10 days on average,you get one put on next the other shoe comes off sometimes even before the farriers put the first one back on!

Excelled himself today he has lost both! Only got them on a fortnight ago! Farrier due on scheduled visit on 27th/28th dec so not too long but its this stopping and starting affecting his schooling (he was only rebacked this year due to stifle op last year).Its always when am on hols so can't do anything with him!!!!

Have tried to continue when he loses shoe but he really needs them.Generally his actual hooves are good but continually pulling shoes off aren't doing them any favours.

Did look at those shoe secure but farrier didn't think it would work on him as he has quite a bit of support at heel so unsure if I would create another problem of grit/dirt getting between skin and shoe secure.

Anyone any suggestions?

What is his diet and management?

TequilaMist

Visit site
At moment micronised linseed, boswelia, Spillers cool fobre and spiller original balancer plus succulents,out during day in at night. Haylage(not rich stuff) at night.Farrier no longer than every 6 weeks
There was a yard not not far from us had soil tested and was deficient in zinc and selinium but that was many years ago.Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Personally I would take them off I know your saying he isn't sound without shoes but if my horse was losing shoes every ten days I would be looking at other things. My horse had his feet ruined by a farrier and the first few times I tried him barefoot he was lame in front without shoes he was bare behind for years and sound.

Two years past in October I took his shoes off (loaner re shod him for six months) and he was sound for hacking and schooling over softer surfaces and Tarmac and nowadays he is found over all surfaces and his feet and legs are in better nick than ever and he's 23 :)

It's worth doing I didn't bother with pads and boots but I know people who have fine this with horses with slight rotation and eventually the horses needed nothing no matter what the surface or competition they were entering :) some went back to Normal shoes even so as to have studs for competing and they never had an issue with losing them after good strong horn was given time to grow down :).

TequilaMist

Visit site
I actually had no intention of puting shoes on if I could avoid it when I got him as a yearling(his feet were a right mess). Wasn't until we started the breaking process that he kept showing up with a slight lameness then x rays and all that led to the heartbars
He isn't even sound in a rubber/sand school with no rider not hoping but definitely uncomfortable.

The ground round here is very stoney as well and some parts you cannot avoid!
His soles and frog do look very flat compared with daughters horse.

Part of me thinks leave them off but then watch him looking uncomfortable and give in So probably not giving it long enough for the feet to adapt without shoes

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
His feet will only gradually get worse in the heartbars. I'd be going for boots and pads and a good diet/supplements

ImmyS

Visit site
I would change balancer to forage plus hoof balancer and probably change haylage to hay, possibly even soak it. I would take shoes off at least over the winter and use boots and pads for the fronts. I would be concerned having a young horse that's needs heartbeat shoes and pulls them so regularly. The overall hoof health needs to improve and as Gloi points out, the hooves will probably deteriorate in heartbeats - they are just masking an underlying issue.

Look at rockley farms blog - would be very helpful for you.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I had the same problem but with egg bars, in the end he was tearing off that much hoof wall farrier had nothing to nail them to. I took shoes off bought easyboot glove hoof boots listened to cptrayes et al and haven't really looked back.