losing weight to ride

tinycharlie

Visit site
Hi I'm writing this to offload mostly
My two children went trekking today with their dad, his partner and her children, I took them there and saw them off and then got quite upset that I was left behind! Its totally my own stupid fault because I could have gone but at 16 and a half stone I know I'm too heavy ( 16 stone limit at rs)
I really felt quite crushed and the problem is I really struggle with the willpower to lose the weight yet would love to ride!
I suffer with stress which makes it worse and I have quite a busy life so dieting is hard. I know what I need to do if I want to ride and I do desperatly want to ( also suffer with nerves on a horse) .
What I ought to do is lose the half stone, go for a slow trek, it might just give me the motivation to carry on and slim down. I have to do it sometime as I want my own one day!
Any tips or motivation welcome! I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to food and horses

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I lost a lot of weight before I re-started riding. I had put on a massive amount (I mean a lot, not just a few pounds but several stones) during the period I'd given up horses. I wanted to start riding again but couldn't even contemplate subjecting some poor horse to my bulk. It also affected my legs and feet quite badly and I was shuffling around like an old woman.

The desire to regain some semblence of fitness, stop feeling like a 94 year r old woman and wanting to ride again gave me the motivation I needed. It's hard, there's no denying it. I used to write down EVERYTHING i ate and drank so I could keep under a certain amount of calories. I aimed for lower fat foods. It's sop easy now with all the nutritional info on packets.

My biggest piece of advice would be give yourself a treat day each week. I lost over six stones but EVERY week I had proper fish and chips from the Fish and Chip shop. That kept me going throughout the rest of the week knowing I was going to get a carb fix on Fridays.

If you really want help I have a little closed group on Facebook specifically for this. It's myself, two of my horsey friends and a friend of one of theirs. We encourage and try to motivate each other and we don't judge when we fall off the wagon once in a while.

JDH01

Visit site
Absolutely agree write everything down, be honest with yourself and buy the Hairy Bikers diet cookbook if you like to cook. All very low fat but very tasty.

tinycharlie

Visit site
Hi deltaflyer the Facebook group sounds a great idea, I'd like to join please
I think my problem is food is one of my main pleasures atm, when I feel stressed it helps and when I can't have what I want I feel depressed.
The motivation to ride isn't quite there enough some days, I wonder if I started riding after a small weight loss if it would spur me on, I haven't sat on a horse for about 3-4 years and that was literally just a sit on .
I think writing it down would help, also I need to try and be less stressed. I am a bit fussy about foods, I like my carbs :/
I hate the thought of not knowing what to eat the most and I like to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible lol

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I lost an initial two stone before starting riding. I have almost another four since. Of course, riding will be additional exercise as well as good core work.

I too have the issue of loving food. I was also brought up in a family that like trying all kinds of different foods as well. I think once the weight starts coming off that will help with motivation. Planning is important too. Making sure you have the 'right' foods in the cupboards and the fridge. But always allow yourself little treats.

Balios

New User
Visit site
I third about writing things down. It's amazing how many calories you consume just in tea and coffee alone.
Also simple things like when shopping park further away so you have to walk a little further, take the star wherever possible instead of escalators/lifts.

Also meditation helps with nerves and stuff. It may sometimes seem airy-fairy but it is a very handy thing to get in to.
All the best in getting back into the saddle

AppyLover

Visit site
Have a look at Weight Watchers its the only thing that's ever really worked for me I started again last week as I wanted to shift a few lbs before the 3 year old is backed this year, First week i lost 7lbs without even really trying I still had Pizza and a bit of chocolate and as long as it fits into the points system you can eat whatever you want. Also alot of people use the My fitnesspal App or the Jawbone Fitbit type things :)

MisterRex

Visit site
That's a massive shame that you couldn't go, too! However with a little work I feel you should be able to find the motivation to lose the excess weight you need or want to.
Horseriding is a fantastic exercise for losing weight if you are able to, since it's not incredibly taxing and yet you're still doing exercise.
However, Losing weight is extremely hard, as a diabetic with thyroid problems i'm no stranger to that!
One of the best tips i've had is to remember the small things. It's all well and good to go on a crazy diet and lose weight, but you'd be surprised how many calories are in things like tea and coffee. And drink much more water than you think you need to, it makes such a huge difference.
You don't need to make any massive changes if it's too daunting, in the long run every good choice you make will pay off. Even if you decide to swap to granary bread or no bread, or low fat cheese instead of full fat, there will still be benefits.
(Also, jodphurs are absolutely fantastic for the figure! I look quite round at 12st and 5'3'', but my jodphurs do a lovely job of tucking in my tummy :p )

PorkChop

Visit site
Have a look into MYFitnessPal, its a way of recording what you eat - my husband lost five stone using it.

Also changing to a high protein, low carb diet is definitely the way to go - really good luck, and having a goal to work towards, like the riding will help keep you motivated :)

Bunnymare

Visit site
Have you thought about joining a local Slimming World or Weightwatchers club or you can join online, I know how difficult it is to lose weight and I've always struggled but since Christmas I've been determined to lose weight, not just for me but to make it easier for my horse to carry me - she's a chunky tb. I've managed to get down to 12st 3lb so far and would like to lose another stone.

I've cut my portion sizes down by 1/2, swapped biscuits and snacks for fruit and tried to ride at least 3 times a week. I still do have treats as I love chocolate and sweet things but now think do I need that and quite a lot of the time put it back... Perhaps you could help out at your local riding school? As daily yard chores, such as mucking out and poo picking help to burn off those calories.

Set yourself little goals and good luck x

tinycharlie

Visit site
Thank you guys
I really need to get my ass into gear now, I'm 35 this year and its a lifelong dream to ride and have my own horse, and the only thing holding me back is my weight, well and money and time lol
We have had charlie 3 years and now hes almost outgrown I need to start looking soon for another.

gothdolly

Visit site
I am not too heavy for my horse, but if I put on another 7lbs I will be, and I am not happy with how I look. I put on 2 stone over the last 12 months with operations/illness/medications and I am now desperate to get it off. I am following the old fashioned WW pure points, as I still have the books from years ago. Its really hard, but I am also desperate to ride other horses other than my own cob, if I can get down to 11 stone I can ride a really nice horse belonging to a friend, I don't want that opportunity to pass me by....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Rather than going for a low carb diet try to go for low GI carbs, such as sweet potatoes, brown rice etc. Avoid low fat foods, unless they are naturally low fat, don't eat thngs like low fat cheese because they have added suagrs to give them taste. Eat 'good fats' such as avocado, rather than'empty calorie' and to get your weight loss going try walking for about 15 mins each day.

cbmcts

Visit site
Hi OP,

9 months ago I was you but 10 years older!

Not ridden for quite a few years, had piled on the weight with a combination of piggishness, boredom and some medication I was on. Wanted to join a take back the reins class so weighed myself for the first time in years and I was a stone and a half over the RS weight limit. Far too heavy to get on any horse TBH.

Fat club wasn't for me but I had to learn a whole new way of eating so joined SW online. I won't lie and say that it was easy but on the other hand it hasn't been that difficult - I've never been hungry, eating out and the like is easy (if you've got better willpower than me :) ) and you still get your treats. I've lost nearly 5 stone with another 1 to 1.5 stone to go. Mind you I did go mad on holiday and put on half a stone while away. Apart from looking better which is nice, my health has improved no end, more energy, better skin and hair as I'm eating a lot less crap, no more swollen joints or acid indigestion so all good.

Excuse me if I sound evangelical as I've never managed to permanently lose weight before and always been chubby! When I was younger I was very active so got away with a lousy diet and maintained weight but age, lack of activity and a few medical problems (which the chub really didn't help) in the last 10 years meant it piled on...

Don't wait as long as I did to sort it. Also, despite losing so much I'm never going to be size 10 and willowy sad as it is to say :) I'll be very happy with a 14 TBH, got to be realistic too :) but I am lighter now than any time since my early 20s so that has to be a good thing.

Peter7917

Visit site
When I need to lose a little I have a strict diet routine. It's dull but it's quick and it's healthy!

For breakfast I will either have two boiled eggs or one piece of toast with peanut butter(check labels! There is one called whole earth that has less than 1gram of sugar per 100 grams)

For lunch I have a chicken breast or piece of salmon with a tonne of veg(cooked the night before)

For dinner I will have again a chicken breast or a piece of salmon, loads of veg and about 100 grams of rice.

I do have nandos sauce with my dinner but not with lunch. I will season my chicken. I will allow myself one banana during the day if I get peckish.

This may not seem a lot of food but I literally pile my plate high with vegetables. You can eat them to your hearts content(cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, sprouts)

I manage to maintain this diet and go to the gym 4 times a week, go riding twice a week and walk the dogs daily, however the exercise wouldn't be necessary, you would lose weight regardless.

On 'treat day' I won't have a takeaway though. I will opt for something like fajitas with a handful of chips or pie and chips.

An average dominoes pizza will cost you around 2500 calories! So it's really not worth undoing all your hard work.

Just eat real foods! Avoid sugars. Eat good fats. No ready meals or processed rubbish!

Oh and I drink that soya milk stuff or water. You can get a coconut one that's lovely and not many calories :)

Equi

Visit site
I like the sound of this Facebook group! I'm in same position as op but I have a horse to carry me. Only thing is he leaves in a few months and I'll be back to sq 1 having to find massive horses or not ride. Simple solution would be loose weight so I can ride other horses!!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I understand your pain OP. My first pony is a 13.2 Welsh Sec C and I absoloutly adore him and could never part with him. Despite me also buying a 14.2 Sec D mare and also riding my boyfriends 15.2 TB gelding, I still love riding my little gelding as it never fails to put a smile on my face.
However I recently put on a bit of weight and refused to ride him because I simply felt I was far too heavy. I missed riding him so much it gave me the motivation to do something about it. I joined slimming world and Im pleased to say I have lost 2st since starting in January. Every time I felt my will power slipping Id look at pictures of me riding my pony and it gave me the motivation to carry on.
Try and focus on the end goal. An old picture of yourself or a picture of your children riding. Keep that in a place you can see it when you are starting to loose focus e.g. on the fridge, your handbag, the lock screen photo on your phone. Above all dont beat yourself up if you have a blip. Just pick yourself up and carry on.

Flicker

Visit site
Another MyFitnessPal convert here! It is free and really good.
I lost 2 stone very easily, and my mum lost about the same. Mum had been ill and needed to get the weight off. I wanted to get sub-11 stone because there was a retired racehorse I had my eye on. That didn't work out but it got the momentum going.
I also agree with the posters who recommend a treat day. Mine is Saturday and I scoff whatever I fancy, just keep it moderate in the week.
I also live food, love baking and making ice cream. The difference is that now I just have a small slice or a small scoop and really savour it. You will probably be surprised, when you start diarising what you eat, how much mindless eating you do - food that serves no physiological or psychological purpose, but is just there. Like the biscuits in work meetings or the crisps at the end of the day. Just cutting out the grazing food will reduce your calorie intake massively.
Finally, how much do you drink? Did you know that a bottle of wine contains the same amount of calories as a roast dinner? So, a bottle of wine every evening = two dinners...
Good luck. By you can do it!! Keep your goal in mind and let it motivate you.

J&S

Visit site
Rather than going for a low carb diet try to go for low GI carbs, such as sweet potatoes, brown rice etc. Avoid low fat foods, unless they are naturally low fat, don't eat thngs like low fat cheese because they have added suagrs to give them taste. Eat 'good fats' such as avocado, rather than'empty calorie' and to get your weight loss going try walking for about 15 mins each day.

Try the Diabetic Weight loss cookery book by Anthony Worrell Thompson. My partner and I have stuck to this since before Christmas as he had a high blood pressure problem and needed to loose weight. The recipes are delicious and you won't feel you are missing out on any thing. Win win here as we have both lost weight!!

Palindrome

Visit site
I do a bit like Peter7917 because I don't have time to exercise now with two children under 3. One of my favorite is a massive bowl of steamed veg (I use frozen veg and steam them in a pyrex dish with lid, 15 minutes in the microwave; easy, healthy and inexpensive). I also lost a bit of weight since becoming a vegetarian. I buy Quorn or soy products. They have less fat than meat and still make good spag bol which my son and husband love.
Good luck OP :)