Loss of appetite when on antibiotics

nel509

Visit site
My connie had a reaction to flu and tet jab last week and has been on Trimedazine antibiotics and bute for 5 days now. I have been srynging the drugs as he wouldnt eat in the feed. Over the last couple of days his appetite as gone. He shows little interest in his bucket feed but has eaten haylage overnight and been grazing during the day. He is usually on so kalm...(soaked feed) with alpha oil chop. Tonight i tempted him with some pony nuts which he showed bit more interest. Another horse on the yard was on this antibiotic a few weeks ago and is still being fussy with food. Has anyone else experienced this

Charlie31

Visit site
Yes, my horse also lost his appetite while on antibiotics. He had to have the drugs syringed in and at first he would eat sugary foods like coarse mix but after a while he lost interest in any bucket feed at all. He also seemed fairly quiet in himself, not unwell but just withdrawn and flat really.

It all came back once the drugs stopped but probably took him about a week to fully get back to his usual self.

I gather it’s quite common for this to happen.

JillA

Visit site
Antibiotics damage the gut bacteria so its not really surprising. You could try a probiotic although whether that would survive the antibiotics I'm not sure, depends on how long the a/bs need to continue

nel509

Visit site
Thanks both of you. He's finished the course now. He's deffo lost a bit of sparkle. He picked at feeds today but was keen to eat some pony nuts. Hopefully he will start to pick up now they r finished. I gave him some red cell tonight as that usually perks them up a bit

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A vet told me to feed bio yoghurt when my horse was on antibiotics.

Why on earth was your horse given antibiotics for a flu/tet jab reaction????