Loss of horse insurance claim?

Visit site
Anybody successfully managed to get them to pay out this way? After losing my boy back in February, I am still waiting for them to make a decision.

chaps89

Visit site
Sorry to hear you lost your boy.
Without wishing to be too direct, alot of it will depend on the cause and circumstances surrounding his death. And most importantly whether your vet has confirmed that your horse met the BEVA guidelines for the immediate destruction of horses. If that is a no or not clear cut that could slow things down

Visit site
Sorry to hear you lost your boy.
Without wishing to be too direct, alot of it will depend on the cause and circumstances surrounding his death. And most importantly whether your vet has confirmed that your horse met the BEVA guidelines for the immediate destruction of horses. If that is a no or not clear cut that could slow things down

He had navicular and DDFT tears. Vet agreed it was the correct decision and we had done exhausted all of the treatment options.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
He had navicular and DDFT tears. Vet agreed it was the correct decision and we had done exhausted all of the treatment options.
Mine was PTS due to horrendous DDFT injury and vets said it's unlikely insurer would pay as they rarely do when PTS due to lameness. BEVA guidelines, which insurers use to decide whether to pay or not , indicate that the horse should be able to be medicated to be sound enough for the field. I wasn't prepared to take the risk that I'd find him on the floor one day plus he was almost non weight baring on that leg so I chose to end his suffering.
I hope they accept your claim and so sorry for the loss of your horse- sadly my experience wasn't a positive one this time.

Less than a year later they (NFU) accepted loss of horse for my wobbler and they did it in a few days, which surprised me.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
My vet couldn't confirm that BEVA guidelines were met as they rarely are for lameness. You'd have to have pretty much a bone sticking out for that unfortunately.

Visit site
Mine was PTS due to horrendous DDFT injury and vets said it's unlikely insurer would pay as they rarely do when PTS due to lameness. BEVA guidelines, which insurers use to decide whether to pay or not , indicate that the horse should be able to be medicated to be sound enough for the field. I wasn't prepared to take the risk that I'd find him on the floor one day plus he was almost non weight baring on that leg so I chose to end his suffering.
I hope they accept your claim and so sorry for the loss of your horse- sadly my experience wasn't a positive one this time.

Less than a year later they (NFU) accepted loss of horse for my wobbler and they did it in a few days, which surprised me.

Thank you for your reply, interesting that it is the same insurance company I am dealing with. We had tried all medication but he could hardly walk the day he went so I had to do what was right for him, a very similar situation to yours by the sounds of it.

Louby

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse. I had a similar situation earlier this year and my insurance didnt pay either. I didnt expect them to tbh. I insure at a low value, mainly to get the benefit of the vets fees as claiming for loss of horse isnt straight forward and unless its death on immediate grounds, ie, catastophic broken leg or the likes, they rarely pay out.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, interesting that it is the same insurance company I am dealing with. We had tried all medication but he could hardly walk the day he went so I had to do what was right for him, a very similar situation to yours by the sounds of it.
Mine was the same but BEVA guidelines states that with medication or even de-nerving there is possibility of becoming pasture sound. But I wouldn't put a horse through that.
My vet said there was no point in arguing with them on this as I is so difficult to het loss of horse due to lameness (unless bone sticking out territory).
NFU were fab with the wobbler case though,.paid for all related treatment and loss of horse straight away.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had 2 PTS through compassionate grounds, neither would have met BEVA guidelines.

One was a wobbler who had got to the stage he couldn't walk straight on a windy day. One was a grey with ringbone who could no loner lie down, despite 2 Bute a day.

I just got on with it, and my current one isn't insured except through Harry Hall!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
The BEVA definition of PTS on welfare grounds for lameness equates to something like could the horse be kept comfortable in a stable on 4 bute a day. If so, horse won’t meet criteria. Most lame horses won’t meet criteria. It does depend a bit on how your vet submits the case, and what they write.

This is why most seasoned owners set the value insured for as low as insurance company allow, and the main benefit of insurance is to cover vet bills.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It’s not about whether the ethical and moral thing is to put to sleep. It can be 100% the fairest thing but not meet the BEVA criteria.

I think the criteria are set this way to prevent risk insurance fraud. But it does unfairly catch people trying to do right thing.

It’s best IMO to not expect a death payout for losing a lame horse. Barring catastrophic accident.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
BEVA guidelines are basically meaning that a horse has a leg that's in two pieces, or a huge wound or can't get up, otherwise I believe you are expected to call them for 'permission' to PTS and then they will pay out.
You may be able to claim for Loss Of Use if you have it, even though the horse is deceased.