loss of mane hair

montydon

Visit site
Hello

I am looking for more information please. My horse lost hair from his mane, but not the top bit, underneath last August. Of course sweetitch was assumed but it is not. Recently he has had blood tests and has a liver enzyme problem. Does anyone know if this could account for the loss of the hair which is not growing back? He is on Legaphyton and being re tested in a couple of weeks. The abnormal enzymes are AST and GT. He is not Cushings.He also suddenly developed three sarcoids, one large. My vet is very good but as with all things they go through a process of elimination which can take a long time so any extra information is always helpful.

Many thanks

islandspirit

Visit site
I'd be very interested to hear if anyone knows as well, sorry to jump in on your question. My horse loses his mane in exactly the same way every time his coat changes, in the spring and this year for the first time in the autumn. Again its from underneath, the hair comes out in handfuls and the bulb is still attached. It's not chewed, he doesn't itch and I try not to use necks with his rugs. He's had skin scraping which didn't turn anything up and a bacterial shampoo and hydrocortisone cream which haven't worked. When the hair grows back it is coarser in texture and a few more hairs each time lose their pigment. I haven't had any blood tests done but maybe I should. if anyone has any ideas I would also love to know.

montydon

Visit site
Hi there

My horse is 19 and it was almost as if it was there one day and gone the next. My vet says that skin scrapings very rarely come up with anything conclusive so have not gone that route and the skin is very clean. I have been looking after it a little more carefully over the past year with Dermoline shampoo and Aloe propolis cream (after having tried Cavalesse with no improvement). As my horse had never had blood tests before I had them done along with his vaccinations expecting Cushings to be diagnosed so you can imagine how surprised I was. I just knew that he was not quite right and thought it was just old age. I use Top Spec feeds and have spoken to their nutritionist who says that it unlikely a nutritional problem as he is fit and healthy in every other way. However i shall be changing to a feed suited to an older horse in the near future when I have had results of blood tests.

I think blood tests are a good idea if you can accept the cost just to find out what is going on in their system. I am someone who can deal better with things if I know what is happening.

Is your healthy in every other way and how old?

islandspirit

Visit site
Spirits 14, he has KS but his coat is fantastic and otherwise he's in good health. I also feed topspec. Spirits mane fell out the first time just after his annual flu and tb jab, literally within days, I thought that was the reason but since then the 2 haven't coincided.

popularfurball

Visit site
My girly does this too - replaced with curly coarse hair.

She is pure White so can't lose anymore pigment!!!!

I just assumed it was "her" - it's especially bad when rugs and bridles etc are - bit she only gets the "rubs" at this time of year