Lost a herd member

onemoretime

Visit site
We lost B last night to colic. It's a horrible thing. He was fine at breakfast, but down at 4.30pm. We called it in the early hours of this morning.

Hold your ponies just that little bit closer today. You never know what's round the corner.

So very sorry to read this. It happens so quickly and we are never prepared for it. x

dorsetladette

Visit site
So sorry, hope you and the herd are doing as well as you can? x

Thank you. We're down to just the 2 babies and a livery now. They all haf a few minutes with B this morning before he left. They are all very quiet today. He was head of the herd and really looked after the babies. They've learnt a lot from him.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Feeling a little numb right now. Still feels a bit surreal. And I'm thinking about it all very practically, which is not normal for me.
I asked the vet every question I could think of. He wrote off worms, sand (we have very sandy soil), me giving him psyllium husk, urine infection (he was standing to wee but not going). We tubed him and nothing came up. He couldn't feel anything in the first 2 internal examinations. The 3rd time the vet came things had changed internally dramatically. Vet took bloods which came back normal in the first test (2nd visit) but really high on 2nd test. I cant remember what vet said he was testing for but it was to show if gut was twisted. Bs heart rate stayed pretty normal throughout the night. But he was given a pain killer which could of masked that. Vet said he couldn't of called it in first 2 visits and would of treated him in the exact same way if he had been one of his own.
I walked just over 25,000 steps on Friday. A friend walked B and so did my OH while I sorted beds, rugs, naughty baby ponies etc etc. So poor B walked his little socks off in the hurrendous weather on Friday night. At least the pain relief woud of worked on his legs as well as his tummy.

There is a Bert size hole in our little world right now, which i can't see anyone filling. The babies have lost the guidance he gave them. Everyone including the 2 sheep (berts ladies) are all very quiet. We gave them all the opportunity to see him before he was collected yesterday morning and they all gave him a sniff and a little nudge. They aren't looking for him just quietly standing in the field.