Lost my mare this morning. Tips to help my foal cope?

charlimouse

Visit site
This morning I found my mare dead in the field. Came completely out of the blue. She had eaten her dinner, and all her haylage, there were plenty of normal looking droppings, everything was normal. I haven't got the results of the post mortem yet, so it is still a mystery.

The foal is coming up to 5 months old. I have spoken to my vet who says she will be OK, but if she drops weight to give her some stud cubes. I have moved her older sister (2yo) into her field as company. The foal stopped whinny-ing around lunch time, and had a pick of grass this afternoon, but this evening was standing at the fence looking a bit lost. Any tips on how I can make things a bit easier for her? I plan to put the foal and the 2yo she is now with in with my older mare once she has settled a bit.

DW Team

Visit site
I am so sorry to read your news. Sounds as though you have done everything you can. If you had the space could you get another weaning foal to keep the foal company. One of my youngsters is going out for winter company loan.

Holly831

Visit site
So sorry it's heartbreaking to lose them and even more of a shock when it is unexpected - lost my gelding this summer the same way :(

Ditto the post above really - would be good if you could find another weanling to run with yours over winter. I took one on loan 18 months ago and she is still with me!

(((Hugs)))

wynter

Visit site
Such a horrible thing to have to go through :(
My weanling went in with her 2 yr old sister and after a day or 2 she was fine and they both get on great, so maybe it might work out the same way for you *fingers crossed*.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Really sorry you've lost the mare. The foal should be ok but may take a few days, it's not that far off weaning age anyway so should do well especially as you've managed to arrange company for it.

LilMissy

Visit site
Just wanted to say Im sorry you lost your mare :( Must have been such a shock for you. Sounds like you have done the right thing with the foal though and Im sure she will settle quickly, they get over these things much quicker than we do. <<hugs>>

Skyebald

Visit site
So sorry to read this, can't imagine how you must feel ....hope foal settles with his new play mate ... lots of hugs xx

Hurricanelady

Visit site
So very sorry for you and your foal to hear your sad news what an awful shock it must have been. All the very best to you both I'm sure the company of the other youngster will help a lot.

angrovestud

Visit site
How terrible and very sad, I am sorry for your loss, I think your doing the right thing best of luck I am sure she will settle soon with her elder sister

charlimouse

Visit site
Thanks for all the help and support. It means alot.

Had the results of Millie's PM back. It found her diaphragm had ruptured, so there was absolutely nothing anybody could have done and the vet has assured us she will literally have dropped dead where she stood. There is no reason the vet could find as to why this had happened, although there is a possibility she already had a diaphragmatic hernia, either due to foaling, or she may have been born with it.

So at least we know she died quickly, with a belly full of food happily grazing the the field. It also puts my mind at rest that it was nothing I did, or that I missed any symptoms, as there would have been no signs at all.

Stella is coping. She is still subdued and was trying to suckle from Celeste this afternoon, but she will get there in time.

Clodagh

Visit site
At least you know she didn't suffer, but how awful for you. I hope your foal soon settles, at least she is in familiar surroundings with horses and people she knows.
I'm so sorry, and it sounds like she was a fantastic mare.