Lost our old Parson Russell terrier this morning

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
As the title, really, he was fine yesterday morning, vomited once during the day while we were out and was a bit fidgetty afterwards - we put that down to him having snaffled some rubbish off the floor on a walk (which he did a lot!) and he seemed to get better and back to normal during the evening. At about 5.30 this morning, we were woken up by the sound of him crashing about and crying / howling out loud, so got him to the emergency vets. They said he had kidney failure and some neurological disorder, possibly a stroke. So there wasn't very much they could do for him apart from put him to sleep.

meleeka

Visit site
So sorry. We lost our collie in similar circumstances. It’s hard at the time, but looking back I’m grateful I didn’t have to watch him fade away due to old age and make that decision, it was quick and taken out of my hands.

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, must have been very distressing to see him like that :(

We lost our Parsons recently, he was 17. First Christmas without him - it was very quiet as he was always the life and soul of Christmas day.

Thinking of you x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So sorry, OP. Do you think that it had to do with whatever he ate off the ground? Not that it matters, I know, I just hope there isn’t someone putting down poison.

Chiffy

Visit site
So sorry, it’s always hard even if they are an older dog. It sounds as though you acted quickly. I am sure it is quiet and strange without him. I hope you can have fond memories xx

TheOldTrout

Visit site
Thanks everyone. This morning was awful as the first thing I do when I get up in the morning is take him out on his walk. I looked at the clock, thought 'I'd better get up because I need to take him out- oh...'
cinnamon toast, there were cases of poison in other parts of the the town earlier in the year. None very local to us though. Vet thought the vomiting could have been because of his kidneys so it might not have been anything to do with his rubbish-scavenging. (Emergency vet was lovely - quite young, female, from somewhere in Eastern Europe, maybe Czech, explained everything really clearly and looked almost as upset as us at having to put dog to sleep.)
OH wants a break from having dogs for a while. I'd thought about fostering dogs from the Oldies Club but OH thought that was hilarious - he didn't reckon I'd want to let any of the foster dogs go.
Thanks again.

Chiffy

Visit site
Sorry you may decide to be dogless, don’t think I could ever do that unless too infirm to look after them. Beware fostering though, I have done it twice.......both dogs stayed!!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't know where you are but there is an elderly staffie looking for a home for Jan and Feb while his owner goes into hospital for an operation. He is Herts.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
I don't know where you are but there is an elderly staffie looking for a home for Jan and Feb while his owner goes into hospital for an operation. He is Herts.

I'm in north Bucks - near Milton Keynes - not that far from Herts. I did suggest to OH that we could foster homeless people's dogs over the winter so the homeless people could get into the night shelter (which doesn't allow dogs), he didn't seem so resistant to that...

TheOldTrout

Visit site
Sorry you may decide to be dogless, don’t think I could ever do that unless too infirm to look after them. Beware fostering though, I have done it twice.......both dogs stayed!!!

It's different ways of grieving for them. I want another dog straightaway to fill the void; OH feels that's disloyal to the dog that's died and needs time and space to grieve.
I like your approach to fostering :)

Chiffy

Visit site
It's different ways of grieving for them. I want another dog straightaway to fill the void; OH feels that's disloyal to the dog that's died and needs time and space to grieve.
I like your approach to fostering :)

Oh I quite understand, my OH liked to assess the situation for a while, but he was away a lot. It was me at home feeling bereft. I don’t think it’s disloyal to the one that is gone, it’s never a replacement but caring for another does help the healing process. Also I once lost a dog and the dog left behind hated being an only dog. She was young but just stopped playing and walked solemnly beside me on a walk. So sad, had to get her a friend!
Many people are excellent fosterers and gain pleasure from finding a new home for a dog in their care. I was useless!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm in north Bucks - near Milton Keynes - not that far from Herts. I did suggest to OH that we could foster homeless people's dogs over the winter so the homeless people could get into the night shelter (which doesn't allow dogs), he didn't seem so resistant to that...

That is a lovely idea. I think fostering is a fabulous concept.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
We took most of his leftover food to HULA (Home for Lost and Unwanted Animals) yesterday. I like the idea of his food helping the dogs in rescue. (The rest of it we plan to give to a young homeless man in the city centre for his Jack Russell.)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thinking of you. I know exactly where you are. We lost our eldest lab in early December. It was quite sudden too. She'd been a little ill during the week, then fine again, then got sore again. We thought she had a blockage. She was booked in for an investigation/op the next morning, and seemed quite comfy . We went out for a few hours (we rarely go out) and came home to her dead, with our other lab sitting over her distraught. We now think she had a cyst that burst, so nothing could've been done, but I will never forgive myself for going out! Our other lab cried when we picked her up and it's taken the whole month for him to slightly cheer up, I'd describe him as depressed (we have a third dog too). He was a rescue, came at 14 months after four homes, and we never realised until now how much he had leaned on her. I miss her so much. She is buried at the end of the garden, next to a few other previous pets, with her beloved skateboard and we planted a Xmas tree over her. RIP my wonderful Honey (my user namesake). If there's a rainbow bridge she'll be in the water underneath it!