Lost our precious boy yesterday

Jingleballs

Visit site
After nearly 13 years with us we had to say goodbye to our beautiful boy.

I'd been diagnosed with arthritis last year and put on NSAIDs which really helped manage his pain but ultimately did damage to his insides and damaged his liver causing blood to flood into his abdomen.

He was a bit dull last weekend but perked up only to fall ill again on Thursday night - when I sent him to the vet on Friday morning (my dad took him), I expected him to get some new medication but we got the news that we dreaded - he was poorly and there was no cure.

So with great sadness we let our beautiful boy and best friend drift away peacefully - and it was so peaceful - he always hated the vet but I think he knew it was time to go and was so calm throughout. I was fortunate to be there with him at the end.

My whole family are devastated - my dad in particular. He lived with me but my parents looked after him every day while we were at work.

We'll definitely get another dog but we'll never meet another one like Bailey.

Some very recent pics - we though he had years left in him - these were only taken month or so ago.

Bailey3_zps416802c3.jpg

Bailey2_zpse5aea6c7.jpg

Bailey1_zpsf47f53c9.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
Bless him what a gorgeous boy he looked to be - rest in peace Bailey, you had lovely owners who made the right decision for you when it was needed x

Saneta

Visit site
Ooooh, that last photo is extremely poignant with the rainbow...He was obviously a much loved friend with a devoted family, and you have some beautiful photos to help remember the good times. Bailey looks a real character and thoroughly enjoying himself on some stunning walks. We only ever 'borrow' our animals, but though it hurts far too much when we have to say goodbye, we wouldn't have missed a single moment with them to save us from the pain we feel at this most difficult time.

R.I.P. Bailey xxx

Shutterbug

Visit site
So sorry to hear about Bailey - he was a cheeky chappy, always friendly and was well loved and cared for - you gave him a great life K, dont be too sad :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks everyone - he was such a special boy. He had so many quirks and funny behaviors - he made us laugh so much and really was a central part of the family - in fact its now that he's gone that we realize just how much he held us all together.

I'm feeling a bit better today - I know he's safe and not in any pain and any sadness I feel is just for myself and how much I miss him. I had a bit of a cry this morning when I came home from the shops and he wasn't lying in the hall waiting to see what I'd brought for him - even the act of going shopping and not picking up some dog treats was so sad.

I think we are going to have to look for another dog sooner than later - we are such a dog oriented family - not just me and my OH but my dad who walked him every day and who now says he has no reason to get up in the morning.

It feels a bit callus to be thinking about it so soon but at the same time, the sooner we do it, the sooner we'll be rescuing an abandoned dog from a sad life in the kennels - and I'm sure Bailey would walk us to do that and give another dog the chance to have a fab life like he had!

All of the pictures I posted will be getting put onto large canvases to hand around the house (to add to the collection of about 4 that we already have of him!) We will also be taking his ashes to Arran, to the beach in the first picture that he loved so much and scattering him there so he can always be by the sea which he loved.

Saneta

Visit site
Having the photos around the house will bring you comfort, a lovely idea. I have friends who would go and get another dog within days of losing a much loved pet, it's their way of dealing with their grief. When I lost my Lab, there was no way I could get another dog for a year or more, I was grieving too much and it wouldn't have been fair on the new dog. I was also very lucky, I still had 2 other dogs which helped me so much. Don't feel guilty about getting another dog so soon, you have to do what is right for you and your family, and somewhere there is a dog that is going to be so very lucky when it's adopted by you!!!