LOU Would you in my shoes? (also in NL)

Keltic

Visit site
Im exploring all my options at the moment so would like some other opinions.
My cob has been out of work since May with a breathing problem, she has had every test available, she then had Pasturella pneumotropica bacterial infection as a secondary condition, we cleared this up and continued to try find the cause of the initial problem. So far we havent found it, her resp rate is frequently very high when the vet came out last it was 43 and she pants like a dog, other times she is fairly normal. So riding her is out of the question as we dont know how much oxygen she is getting.

So I realise time is ticking by, If i wanted to put in for LOU it would have to be soon within the next few months as not sure how long these things take. Is this done because the horse cannot do what it was purchased for? I got her to do Riding club, showing and hacking etc none of which she is able to do, the vet thinks its likely that the problem will continue.

I got her to replace my old tb who at 30yrs is retired, so know I have 2 unable to do anything, i keep them in DIY livery so dont have my own place, but im happy to keep her whatever happens they are both with me for life rideable or not.

What do you think should I just carry on and hope for a soloution?
Should I apply for LOU? If i get LOU will she still be insurable ie colic accidents etc?
Then perhaps get another "addition" to our family come spring?

What would you do? Thanks

traceyann

Visit site
I would claim lou as long as you dont have to put to sleep you could use the money for more treatment or get another horse i chose lou as my horse unsound then used the money i got for more vet care lucky he came right so now have sound horse although lou but nineteen now so with me for life anyway

cm2581

Visit site
Take LOU. But don't say the horse is unsuitable for hacking as then if it ever does come ok for a gentle stroll then you won't be liable to repay. Speak to your vet and read your insurance policy carefully before making a final descision. Respiratory conditions will most likely be excluded from further insurance but other conditions shouldn't be a problem. And obv you won't be able to insure against LOU again!

Keltic

Visit site
Thank you both, you have both made good points especially about the hacking!
I dont know it just seems so final like im giving up, im not and i def dont want her pts she has a good qol and she is with me forever.

traceyann

Visit site
please be carefull with insurance i claimed LOU and after my insurance company would not cover for anything only third party if he hurt someone in the field as soon has he was out of the field if he ran someone over he wasnt insured crazy i know but had been riding on the roads uninsured because they didnt tell me they had cancelled my poilcy this was pet plan but where excellent when came to paying vet fees it is hard to get insurance for LOU horse but they are out there good luck