LOU Would you in my shoes?

Keltic

Visit site
Im exploring all my options at the moment so would like some other opinions.
My cob has been out of work since May with a breathing problem, she has had every test available, she then had Pasturella pneumotropica bacterial infection as a secondary condition, we cleared this up and continued to try find the cause of the initial problem. So far we havent found it, her resp rate is frequently very high when the vet came out last it was 43 and she pants like a dog, other times she is fairly normal. So riding her is out of the question as we dont know how much oxygen she is getting.

So I realise time is ticking by, If i wanted to put in for LOU it would have to be soon within the next few months as not sure how long these things take. Is this done because the horse cannot do what it was purchased for? I got her to do Riding club, showing and hacking etc none of which she is able to do, the vet thinks its likely that the problem will continue.

I got her to replace my old tb who at 30yrs is retired, so know I have 2 unable to do anything, i keep them in DIY livery so dont have my own place, but im happy to keep her whatever happens they are both with me for life rideable or not.

What do you think should I just carry on and hope for a soloution?
Should I apply for LOU? If i get LOU will she still be insurable ie colic accidents etc?
Then perhaps get another "addition" to our family come spring?

What would you do? Thanks

Last edited:

lochpearl

Visit site
Poor you! Sounds like you have the same luck as me. I would definitely go for LOU, firstly you have lost her use, if she can't be ridden again due to her condition then why should you not claim - you are paying the premiums!!

Secondly if a miracle does happen and they manage to cure her to the point of riding again, I would only imagine that she would be suitable as a light hack.

I would also speak to the insurers and see what they say for colic etc. They might insure for part vets fees but not death of horse or something.

Keltic

Visit site
Your prob right if I can get her going again it might just be as a light hack, the vet is out again tomo for her what feels like her weekly visit so ill see what she thinks, thanks x

cellie

Visit site
I had to do lou but insurance company were still happy to insure me for everything but horses legs so would imagine you will have exclusions like I did.Personally I would l take the money what have you got to lose it will help you with your new horse if you decide to go for one.There are many horses that recover to extent that they have some quality of life and use .Hope your horse is as lucky as mine and given time off makes somes form of recovery. Good luck:D