Low calorie dog food for just spade spaniel

SpottyTB

Visit site
Our girl misty has just been spade, we know that you have to be aware of weight gain once they are done.. so starting to think about it now.

misty is a small springer spaniel, she weighs around 17kg.. currently on a maintenance working dog food and has a Generous handful a day.. nothing else.. she is well rounded on just this.. protein is 22%.. if I cut it down 25% (as recommended) she’ll have hardly anything.. she does go off shooting as well - so think she ought to have more than a couple of biscuits!

can anyone recommend a low calorie dog food for her? I’d consider feeding her raw but would prefer a dry dog food.

Thank you
STB

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd carry on and monitor her weight a bit, I think it makes them a bit more inclined to gain weight but I wouldn't reduce automatically. My springer really hasn't changed much at all since she was spayed - still eats double what she should on paper and is fit as anything

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thanks for that - never had a bitch, so don't know how it goes... my dog piled on weight though and we have to watch what he eats in the summer! Will keep her as she is for a minute then and keep an eye ... currently refusing to eat and is sulking in her crate. Bless her!

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh my girl did the same - she wouldn't eat that night at all. She was back to normal the next day though.
One tip I've read if you need to reduce is to add cooked green beans to add bulk to their tummies

twiggy2

Visit site
If she is a small springer spaniel, weighs 17kg and is well rounded she needs a reduction in calories regardless of neutering.
The reduction in calories is because hormones use calories and the hormones are gone after neutering. Many dogs with a high metabolism and not carrying fat don't seem to change after speying but those with a tendency to weight gain seem to have a tendency to pile it on.
Some of the light foods might suit her but I would just reduce the dry food and give veg instead, also male her work for her food by hiding itround the garden.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Oh my girl did the same - she wouldn't eat that night at all. She was back to normal the next day though.
One tip I've read if you need to reduce is to add cooked green beans to add bulk to their tummies

Thanks for that, that’s reassuring to hear! Completely surprised she didnt want any food from them as she’s a proper piggy - she was starved as a puppy before we got her, and has always eaten anything at 100mph since we got her.

thanks everyone, I’ll start cooking more veg!

ETA; when I say well rounded, she is NOT fat, ribs are easily felt and she can do 8 hours shooting without an issue. She is fit and a good weight (vets always impressed) but she is a short and stocky springer, and piles weight on.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I doubt she's sulking to be honest. Dont forget a spay is major abdominal surgery.
We tend to forget that as it's routine but it's still a fairly major op and if it was a women having a hysterectomy you would be in hospital for days.!
Let her take it easy and give her something easily digestible for a day or two

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I doubt she's sulking to be honest. Dont forget a spay is major abdominal surgery.
We tend to forget that as it's routine but it's still a fairly major op and if it was a women having a hysterectomy you would be in hospital for days.!
Let her take it easy and give her something easily digestible for a day or two

I agree. Most bitches do tend to bounce back very quickly, but a number take longer to recover. My own little dog took quite a while to recover. All that aside, as Sandstone says, it’s a major surgery with an anaesthetic to match.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Yeah it’s a huge op, I have seen it done a handful of times (always amazes me how invasive it is) and like you say it is major surgery with the anaesthetic to go with it.

I probably should have written that more pc minded - I was only joking. She will probably take a little longer to bounce back as she’s a bit older, although not sure if that effects the recovery process?

She’s got our full sympathy, a quiet corner in her own room with several soft blankets and a warm coat on.

She’s had food which she only ate from my hand.. she’s seen her pups (who aren’t pups anymore - before anyone worries about that) which Has been the only thing to make her wag her tail all evening bless her.

she is now in the lounge on her own under a blanket snoring!!!

thank you for the advice regarding her feeding regime.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Our lab was spayed 16 months ago at 14 months old, we struggled to keep weight on her then and still do now. I'd suck it and see, if she starts to put on weight cut her back a bit. If she's high energy she's unlikely to get fat really quickly so just see how she goes. If she's working she'll need protein for building and repairing muscle. ? If she's a really fast eater get her an anti gulp bowl to slow her down, that'll help her digest her food more effectively.

Thistle

Visit site
You don't need to cook her veg, mine love raw carrot, broccoli, shredded cabbage, all sorts of fruit etc etc. Just check it's not poisonous. Dogs didn't evolve to eat cooked food.

satinbaze

Visit site
I am monitoring my recently spayed bitch very carefully as she is a glutton and could easily become overweight. She is on the same food as pre spay but I weigh each meal. It is amazing how much variation there is in a handful.

Mister Ted

Visit site
If you choose a dry dog food the carbs are all tied in with the meat content. I f you want to lower weight you would need to lower the carb content. I dont like dry food for dogs personally, my dog eats 90% meat content top quality tinned meat and no biscuits. His weight is fine and healthy and energetic,if I added biscuits in the way of carbs he would gain weight. Protein in the way of meat is what dogs need ,spayed or not.