Low calorie feed balancer

MoodyMare11

Visit site
The vet has recommended that I feed a low calorie feed balancer, he is going on to a VERY strict grass restricted, glucose free diet. Can anyone recommend one?

:)

xx

Nicnac

Visit site
Have used Baileys Lo-cal for years. Lasts a long time and has suited a range of animals from my daughters ponies; to ex-racers; a friesian and an ISH. Highly recommend it.

ct1

Visit site
baileys lo cal balancer all the way. i used it on mine who had arthritis n wanted 2 keep her weight down. I now use it on my 5year old coz he had bad hooves when i bought him and it just works for him x he has a lovely glossy coat 2 x

claireandnadia

Visit site
I use spillers lite balancer for my 16hh IDxTB and my shettie all year rouund. On talking to the Spillers rep at a shop once he told me that my IDxTB would not do well on it over winter but she has.

Bertolie

Visit site
Spillers Lite balancer for my two as well - both good doers. On the advice of the Spillers nutritionist I only feed half rations and a bag lasts ages. Its also about £7 per bag cheaper than Baileys Lo-Cal.

Pasha

Visit site
The vet has recommended that I feed a low calorie feed balancer, he is going on to a VERY strict grass restricted, glucose free diet. Can anyone recommend one?

:)

xx

Why ha your vet recommended this? Is it because your horse has Insulin Resistance?

If so, the starch levels in the balancers mentioned maybe too high for your boy - they are for mine!

I highly recommend Equimins Advanced Concentrate (or the Equimins Advanced Concentrate Meta Balance - special order, you have to phone them for it) OR ForagePlus Hoof Balancer :D

Bobbly

Visit site
Have a look at '365 Complete', in powder form so can be added to something like Hifi Lite, they can send you a detailed content sheet so you can check the levels of each element.

Greylegs

Visit site
Yep...another vote for Baileys Low Cal. My highland looks brilliant on it. Keeps his waist line in check, lasts for ages and he loves it.

pansymouse

Visit site
My friend uses the Top Spec one with the same make of chaff for her cob and pony and they both are sane and sensible with lovely coats and hooves which is pretty much what you want from a food imo.

MoodyMare11

Visit site
Why ha your vet recommended this? Is it because your horse has Insulin Resistance?

If so, the starch levels in the balancers mentioned maybe too high for your boy - they are for mine!

I highly recommend Equimins Advanced Concentrate (or the Equimins Advanced Concentrate Meta Balance - special order, you have to phone them for it) OR ForagePlus Hoof Balancer :D

I should of mentioned that too! yeah thats the reason she wants him on it. Thank you :)

xx

Spyda

Visit site
Spiller's Light Balancer! Definitely the best of the low energy balancers. And on your pocket, too. A winner all round IMO.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Why a balancer ? and not just a good min vit supplement ?
I would use 365 complete it was perfect for my ID during his 200 kilo diet and mix it with a tiny bit of chopped straw or similar.
My ID tested clear for IR so it was decided it was FB syndrome ( fat b*****d ) he showed all the outward signs of IR but could not get a test to confirm it.
200 kilos lighter he is a different horse.

Pasha

Visit site
I use the Dodsen and Horrell one. My two look good on it.

Sorry but as you mentioned it, this is a good example of the types of balancers I was referring too as not being suitable for IR horses... I know as I have recently been on it and my boy's crest has flared up on it, so I am switching back to Equimins as the spec is very similar (you actually get some more IR friendly minerals with Equimins but not the MSM admitedly and Equiminns is cheaper)

D&H Ultimate Balancer is
13.5% Starch
7% Sugar
:eek:

potto

Visit site
Another vote for Baileys low cal, although have been hearing good things about spillers and can definitely recommend Jackie A Taylor for unbiased nutritional advise for anything like comparing feeds especially with any metabolic probs.

Rache

Visit site
Baileys lo-cal for me, I've got a rescue which I put on this and he's stayed on it. Needed all vit and min feed but all the feed store had in stock, he's now a fatty but I wouldn't that's the lo cal more likely the amount of grass he had when I was ill and other people looked after him for a while.

cambrica

Visit site
Baileys No 14 lo-cal balancer for me too (well not me exactly-the horses :p although I could probably do with some ;)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sorry but as you mentioned it, this is a good example of the types of balancers I was referring too as not being suitable for IR horses... I know as I have recently been on it and my boy's crest has flared up on it, so I am switching back to Equimins as the spec is very similar (you actually get some more IR friendly minerals with Equimins but not the MSM admitedly and Equiminns is cheaper)

D&H Ultimate Balancer is
13.5% Starch
7% Sugar
:eek:

Not at all, quite interesting actually. It is meant to be their balancer for fatties!! god knows what their other one has in it then.