Low NSC feeds

Mari

Visit site
My 21 yr old horse has been diagnosed with Cushings (PPID). He had mild laminitis, the only symptom before testing. He is not a greedy horse & doesn’t have a good appetite so hard to keep weight on. When he started on Prascend he quickly lost weight & is now underweight. Unfortunately he’s not a big eater but has 3 feeds a day. What feed would be good for his Cushings and weight gain? He is out on good grass daily & in with ad lib hay at night. 1.5 Prascend daily.

SEL

Visit site
Is he eating ok now? Sometimes you have to drop the prascend dosage to keep them eating and slowly increase again.

Copra is pretty low NSC and good for weight gain as is micronised linseed.

Mari

Visit site
I’ve done the Prascend drop & gradually raised it. The problem is he’s never been a big eater which is why he gets 3 & sometimes 4, feeds a day as I try to keep them small enough for him to eat up - but he usually leave a small handful - & get enough food into him for the work he is doing. He’s not in work at present but as the vet says he doesn’t want to lose any more weight.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd be feeding pink mash and a rice bran pellet. I've never known anything like rice bran for putting weight on and it can be fed in small quantities

zandp

Visit site
Copra is safe for PPID horses, that and linseed work well for mine when she drops weight. Join the Cushings group on Facebook and there's loads of files about safe foods on there, all with analysis of sugar/starch / nsc etc.

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
Mine is 41 and I had the same problem on prascend pill, he is now on the bova paste and his appetite has increased back to normal.

Look for feeds 10% and under nsc

Fast fibre 7.5%
Speedibeet 5%
Veteran Light 8.5%

Have a look at pure feeds, they are fed in lower quantities and have a balancer included

Mari

Visit site
Copra is safe for PPID horses, that and linseed work well for mine when she drops weight. Join the Cushings group on Facebook and there's loads of files about safe foods on there, all with analysis of sugar/starch / nsc etc.
I’m on the FB group but can’t find the files". where are they?

meleeka

Visit site
I’m on the FB group but can’t find the files". where are they?
If you are on a phone they are just along from the tab that says photos at the top.

My go to for weight gain is micronised Linseed and Speedibeet. Mine has Veteran Light because she’s a fussy mare but her weight is good atm.