Low Ringbone,experiences please?

EAST KENT

Visit site
not articular,it showed up unexpectedly on xrays done for laminitus.We are now coming through that problem,the xray shows it just above the coronet on one foreleg only.Farrier says it will not affect her,just wondered if anyone else can give oersonal experiences of this.:eek:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
My last horse had non articular and articular, high and low ringbone diagnosed when he was 14. He continued to work more or less as normal until he was 16. Had remedial shoeing (Natural Balance and that type of shoe) which helped enormously. Some days he would be stiff, others not. He developed a slightly odd way of walking on that leg, dishing slightly and always walked on the outside of it. Checked over regularly by vet, physio and farrier who all agreed he wasn't in pain. Farrier thought it was to do with the way it had healed (that's the wrong word but I can't bring the right word to mind now) and he'd adapted his movement to suit. Got to 17 and started to struggle so we just went in straight lines then (hacking, fun rides, hunting - only jumping little fences and on perfect/soft ground).

He's semi retired now (aged 18), just hacks lightly. I don't think it's a death sentence, mine hated time off work and was far happier kept in work.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Thanks Amymay,really helpful.This mare had a hock spavin years back and the management looks very similar indeed.Plus with the laminitus attack ,meaning less weight on her,the regime of out but on sparse grazing looks a winner.She is only used for light hacking in any case and we are 1/4 of a mile from a forest toll ride.Won`t know te whole picture until the lami has fully grown out,but at the moment she is only slightly iffy on the "ringbone foot".My,this one has had her troubles,but is well worth persevereing because she is a smart saintly cob.:)