LPG conversion problem

horseriderdeb

Visit site
Hiya

I seem to be having problems with my lpg conversion on my discovery in this cold weather. It just doesn't want to work. Is anyone else having the same problem. Does LPG freeze?

NeilM

Visit site
I know nothing about LPG conversions, but do know a bit about gas.

Any pressurised gas cylinder will lose pressure in cold conditions and the colder it gets the lower the pressure is in the cylinder. This will affect the flow of gas to the engine. To make matters worse, the action of drawing gas from the cylinder will cool both the cylinder and the feed line down and I have seen cylinders with ice on them in warm conditions (when a lot of gas is being drawn off).

In short, yes the cold weather will make any pressurised gas system a lot less effective and it is possible that the feed line could freeze up.

Inca2

Visit site
LPG is a gas at air temperature and has to be well below freezing and under pressure to be a liquid - it would never freeze in your engine.
I have an LPG car and in cold weather it is a problem to start because it needs to start on petrol and when you turn the key and give it big revs you are forcing it onto LPG too early (the engine is not ready yet and the high revs makes it switch).
Switch it to petrol full time before you try to start it and then run it for a few minutes before switching it to the gas option. It will then go onto gas in its own good time.

Hope this helps.

TicTac

Visit site
LPG is a gas at air temperature and has to be well below freezing and under pressure to be a liquid - it would never freeze in your engine.
I have an LPG car and in cold weather it is a problem to start because it needs to start on petrol and when you turn the key and give it big revs you are forcing it onto LPG too early (the engine is not ready yet and the high revs makes it switch).
Switch it to petrol full time before you try to start it and then run it for a few minutes before switching it to the gas option. It will then go onto gas in its own good time.

Hope this helps.

You are exactly right. My husbands car is LPG converted and it operates as above.

Mike007

Visit site
Heat is needed from the engine to prevent the propane freezing , If the engine is cold ,it will run badly. Also if you dont have the correct strength antifreeze,you can have problems with the heat exchanger freezing.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. The engine will start on petrol, naturally, as LPG would quite likely explode the car! It may be debris in your (petrol) fuel line, particularly if you rarely use the petrol aspect for general driving. I confess to hating our system with a passion and the nearest service garage is half an hour away. I cannot wait to get rid and go back to petrol.:mad: The servicing costs have been huge because it's not a common system.:(

Inca2

Visit site
It is perfectly possible to start the car on LPG (without it exploding), you can force it to do so in an emergency - like if you run out of petrol or your petrol pump fails. I started mine on LPG for a week when the petrol pump gave out. It is not recommended though, as it can cause back-firing.
I've had two LPG cars in 8 years and had no real problems with them.