Lucy Priory Barefoot Trimmer

amandap

Visit site
This farrier bashing is what I find unfair.
I've had some brilliant farriers who have to deal with all sorts of owners, Barefoot trimmers usually have owners who are motivated to look after their horse's feet, farriers have to deal with the owners who have no intention of ever looking at the holistic health of their horse. The owners who leave a cheque in the feed room and turn up to find their horse with 4 shoes freshly applied and maybe only book the farrier when the shoes have worn out.

I've listened to the frustration of farriers who deal with these owners but what do they do ? Refuse to care for the horse and blacklist the owner with their colleagues ?

I've had a farrier leave his supper to come within 15 minutes, with swollen arms, to replace a lost shoe on my horse for no charge. He wasn't even my farrier. Why ? Because he cared about the welfare of horses.
I can understand the frustration of farriers like this but perhaps they should learn to 'man up' a bit and tell these owners like it is or should be!
If owners don't like it they will change farrier... this only perpetuates owners devolving responsibility imo. That imo is truly caring for the horses in their care.

ps. If we all had the odd boot or pad to tape on for a lost shoe or non urgent help with a sore horse farriers might not have to rush out to every lost shoe like yesterday!

Last edited by a moderator: