Lucy Rees

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
for those of us old enough to know who she is, I am very excited to find she finally has a new book out! Called Horses In Company and it looks as one chapter thoroughly dissects the myths of dominance.

If you don't know who she is, she's not written a book thats not worth reading-get them all, you can generally find them sh on eBay..

fburton

Visit site
Yes, this is really good news!

My hope is that if Lucy's experience with Kindle is good, she will consider publishing another book of hers about horsemanship that I was fortunate to read a manuscript of some years ago that (imo) deserves a wider audience.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Yes, this is really good news!

My hope is that if Lucy's experience with Kindle is good, she will consider publishing another book of hers about horsemanship that I was fortunate to read a manuscript of some years ago that (imo) deserves a wider audience.

that would be great. I have the book-cant wait to get stuck in :)

paddy555

Visit site
for those of us old enough to know who she is, I am very excited to find she finally has a new book out! Called Horses In Company and it looks as one chapter thoroughly dissects the myths of dominance.

If you don't know who she is, she's not written a book thats not worth reading-get them all, you can generally find them sh on eBay..

thanks for that. Lucy Rees articles in magazines was part of the stuff I read in my office lunch breaks. I was shocked, when I searched for this book, to find she was 74. (which makes me feel terribly old!) She always looked so young. I remember her pony Pete on a Welsh mountain. Funny what you remember.
Her book, The Maze, from hell to hopi is also worth a read.

sammew

New User
Visit site
I love Lucy! I've read most of her books and would recommend them all and think this is brilliant. It's an accumulation of her and her students research, formed from watching wild herds and provides a real insight into natural horse behaviour. It's very readable and is also a counter to 'dominance theory' with evidence that is great for those of us not able to see the behaviour of free roaming herds. Her descriptions of herd behaviour are very rich and she doesn't cherry pick stories for a particular theory, not all herds or horses act the same. She does though offer suggestions on how this research and understanding can inform horse management for any owner, however limited in their resources. I hope many people will read this.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Great day at Edinburgh Zoo and Lucy Rees. Many measured observations on feral horse behaviour demonstrating a total lack of dominance hierarchy in feral herds and how there is no aggression when resources are available. How their innate behaviour must be satisfied in order to prevent behavioural problems, stereotypes and for their health and welfare. And a good point about how environmental enrichment is being considered and delivered for farm animal species but is very often completely disregarded in horse management. Also how badly 'we' have been let down by equine ethologists (although I think that's down to research money tbf).
I have some ideas on a couple of things I can improve upon in my own handling and how I approach things :) really useful day.

I realise very few people have heard of her or might think she's some natural horsemanship type (she isn't!) but if one person looks her up on the back of my post and looks for her books then thats a result.

ponyparty

Visit site
I knew I recognised that name! I have a book which takes short excerpts from horsey books - and Horse of Air was one of them. I absolutely fell in love with it, I've never been able to get my hands on a copy of the original book though. Will have to check out her others too.

Morgan123

Visit site
Great day at Edinburgh Zoo and Lucy Rees. Many measured observations on feral horse behaviour demonstrating a total lack of dominance hierarchy in feral herds and how there is no aggression when resources are available. How their innate behaviour must be satisfied in order to prevent behavioural problems, stereotypes and for their health and welfare. And a good point about how environmental enrichment is being considered and delivered for farm animal species but is very often completely disregarded in horse management. Also how badly 'we' have been let down by equine ethologists (although I think that's down to research money tbf).
I have some ideas on a couple of things I can improve upon in my own handling and how I approach things :) really useful day.

I realise very few people have heard of her or might think she's some natural horsemanship type (she isn't!) but if one person looks her up on the back of my post and looks for her books then thats a result.

Ah awesome thanks for the synopsis! I was gutted not to be able to see her talk, that's so interesting though. She is awesome!
For anyone else itnerested, she has a whole series of videos about her pottaka herd on Epona.tv.