Lump on horses spine... kissing spines?? :(

Clarebear*

Visit site
Hi all wanting your thoughts really, has anyone had anything similar? Is there anything I can be doing until vet comes out on wednesday which might help?

My 5 year old ex racer had a big weekend last week he went hunting sat then jumping sunday. A lump appeared on his spine this week. He is completely sound and full of it. Initially the lump was not sore but this weekend it has been sore when pressure has been applied.

Its about the size on a £2 coin in width and about half an inch in height and is noticeibly warmer than anywhere else on his back.

I am trying not to think the worst until i have seen the vet on wednesday.....but kissing spines? Any ideas what else it could be? Is there any other symptoms of kissing spines? Really worried about him :(

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
my horse had something similar but it went after a few months, both vet and physio said he had likely rolled on a stone or something in the field and it was just a soft tissue brusie sort of thing

c2b

Visit site
Sounds similar to a lump my friends horse had on it's spine. Turned out to be a cyst. I have no knowledge of kissing spines.

biggingerpony

Visit site
Well done getting the vet out :) but I would also recommend getting someone out to look at his saddle, my mare had this once - turned out to be a saddle related issue.

Visit site
Where abouts is the lump? Racers are quite prone to getting bursors on their spines due to the half tree saddles they usually get ridden in in work. He may have had it sitting there for a while and then going a bit OTT over the weekend has probably made it show up. We have quite a few horses in the yard with them. We make sure they get ridden in proper tree'd and gulleted saddles and usually have thick pads with holes cut out over the area of the lump to avoid pressure on them.

Definitely get your vet to check it out but personally I wouldn't ride him until it has been seen and settled.

Clarebear*

Visit site
Well done getting the vet out :) but I would also recommend getting someone out to look at his saddle, my mare had this once - turned out to be a saddle related issue.[/QUOTE

Ive booked saddle fitter for 2 weeks time. He had his new saddle fitted 8 weeks ago but he is changing shape so fast!

Visit site
I have never heard of a bursor before? Do the half trees build up pressure ? So they don't dissapear you have to work round them?

A bursor is just like a windgall, same as a thoroughpin is also like a windgall - excess fluid from the joint. The half tree racing saddles put pressure on the end of it's tree when we stand up in our stirrups to gallop and yes over time create the bursors due to extreme pressure on that particular area of the spine. A lot of trainers are now choosing full tree saddles due to back problems. We work around them because we are still racing the horse. I have no idea if they go down over time, rest and a change of tack once retired from racing. Whilst we try to keep in touch with the retired in-mates it is not always possible and it's not something I have ever thought to ask people to be honest.