Lump on neck

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
The little black stallion (now gelding) that I took in back in Feb had a small lump appear on his neck at the base of his mane. My vet lanced it open when he went in for castration incase there was something inside, followed by few days of poulticing. It's now nearly five weeks later and the lump has filled with puss again!

We started a ten day course of antibiotics four days ago and daily poulticing for four days. If no difference then we're looking and having to scan the neck to see if there's anything in the lump and go from there! Anyone else had something like this before? Not liking the thought of the vets finding something in the lump which will require surgical removal I must admit.

Hexx

Visit site
My boy had a massive infection in his neck - about 2 litres of pus was drained (in a very attractive pus fountain that erupted when the vet lanced it!!). We think there had been a blackthorn in his neck as he had fallen into some bushes about 10 days previously. the force with which the pus was evicted probably dislodged the thorn as well.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I fear his got a wood splinter in it from scratching on the stable door frame when he had severe lice when he first arrived!

Thank you Faracat will check it out. I finally thought I'd got on top of all these ponies issues and got them fit and healthy ready to find new homes and now this.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine ended up with a repeated infection that broke out at her crest from when she was microchipped. A fistula formed from the microchip to her crest and after several sets of antibiotics it had to be cut out.