Lump on penis

Copperpot

Visit site
Noticed last week my horses sheath was swollen and had a small spot on it. Guessed it was a fly bite, cleaned it up and put some aloe vera gel on.

He lives out and I don't see him "drop" that often. However tonight he did so I went to check. It's grown to the size of a large garden pea and is all bloody.

Obviously I will call the vet first thing Tuesday but anyone else had an experiences like this?

He's always been fairly dirty down there and I clean it every so often. Since he's lived out he seems to keep himself cleaner. However tonight seemed quite gunky when last week it wasn't.

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
I would wait until the vet has seen this before you jump to any conclusions. My boy had a 'scab' which grew on his penis which turned out to be a squamous cell carcinoma. He had to have about 1/3 of his penis removed. This year we had another lump and I was really worried. He had a biopsy which indicated pre cancerous so had a 'lumpectomy'. When the lab came back on the lump it turned out to be a reaction to a fly bite. Sooooo in a long roundabout way I am saying that you can't really tell until the vet has seen it and even then you may not be able to tell without a biopsy. What I would say is get it sorted asap as if it is worst case scenario the quicker you catch it the greater the chance of a good outcome. Good luck x

Copperpot

Visit site
I am hoping it is just a fly bite reaction but of course other worse case scenarios do come into your head! I wish it wasn't a bank holiday and I didn't have to wait an extra day. How was your boy after the operation? I take it it hadn't spread to anywhere else? Until I googled SCC I wasn't aware you could even have such an op. Xx

flojo

Visit site
There's a similar post underneath if you'd like to read it ..'Scabby willy'....I'm not name calling honest...it's what the post is called ;)

Hetsmum

Visit site
He is great! :) He recovered very quickly and adapted as he has more of a 'slit' up the back of the penis rather than a hole at the bottom so he sort of pees backwards a bit! I was riding about 4 weeks afterwards as the general anaesthetic did make him a bit tired for about 2 weeks - it was a 2 1/2 hour operation.

Because he always like to 'hang it out' ;) he wears a fly rug all summer as he is pink skinned down there (coloured cob) and I am sure the UV had something to do with it.

My vets had said that SCC is usually very localised and likes genital or eye tissue. It is not keen on the sheath so relatively unlikely to have spread 'within' unless left untreated. First operation was May last year and lumpectomy was about 4 weeks ago.....he still has stiches. I am now £500 poorer as the insurance wouldn't cover it after a year.:( It could have been so much worse as if the carcinoma had come back he would have had to have the 're-route the plumbing' operation with no insurance :eek: Again though it is not often it comes back as such a large margin of tissue is taken. I know it's hard but I wouldn't worry about one extra day as it is not going to make much difference........it just gives you more time to worry! It may only be a bad reaction to the fly bite. Let me know how you get on......good luck! x :)

Copperpot

Visit site
Ah I'm glad to hear he recovered well and is back to normal. I will let you know what the vet says and also have a read of the scabby willy post lol. Although mine isn't scabby lol 😀

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
Vet thinks it's an infected fly bite. Gave it a good clean and he has anti biotics for a week. She said to keep an eye on it and if it gets any bigger they will check it again.

Hetsmum

Visit site
Vet thinks it's an infected fly bite. Gave it a good clean and he has anti biotics for a week. She said to keep an eye on it and if it gets any bigger they will check it again.

thanks for the update! Good news really......well maybe he doesn't see it like that! ;)

Copperpot

Visit site
He certainly did not. Had to have extra sedation as he was being very "shy" lol. Then when she cleaned it, the lump really bled. I took a picture and sent it to my OH. He is full of sympathy for Chester's man problems now 😊

Hetsmum

Visit site
Ah bless! Mine requires very little sedation.........they give him more ACP which tends to have the required 'relaxing' effect! The photos I have would make your OH double up I suspect.......I really hope nobody every gets hold of my camera phone.............
Best wishes for a speedy recovery x