Lump on schnauzers chest????

merlinsquest

Visit site
My schnauzer has a lump on his chest...... about the size of a pea. Its on his sternum (or equivalent if they dont have them) and is round and moves freely when prodded. It does not appear to hurt as he does not react if it is felt.

I will take him to the vets to get it looked at, but in the meantime..... any ideas???

sade1986

Visit site
Our JRT has a lump which sits just under his collar, vet said it was a fatty lump and was under the skin/not attached to any tissue underneath the skin. So it moves when you manipulate it, hasn't seemed to get any bigger and doesn't bother him. Could perhaps be this but i would definatly get a vet to check it out as you say.

Maisy

Visit site
How old is the dog? I would think it is just a fatty lump....nothing to worry about at all.....get it checked next time you go anyway though......

GinaB

Visit site
Best to have it checked out
smile.gif
Could be a fatty lump, my schnauzer has a couple and unfortunately he said she will probably be prone to them.

Native Speaker

Visit site
My OH's Border Terrier has a lump on his chest, too. The vet checked it at the dog's last two annual vaccinations, and as Borders don't do outwardly visible signs of pain, he listened to Tugg's heart while he palpated the lump. As the vet explained, if the dog felt any discomfort or pain while he poked the thing around, this would refelect in the rythm of the heart beat. There was no change in the heart beat, so the vet is happy, saying that it's probably a fat deposit and it will aslo continue to grow a little as the dog ages. Tugg's 10 in October, and since the lump was first discovered it's only grown by a millimetre or two. But we still keep a regular check on it, usually weekly when the little git has a brush.....
blush.gif
wink.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
Merlins vet had a quick non official prod at it today and thinks its just fat..... but when he next goes to the vets they will take a bit of the lump out with a syringe and put it on a slide to make sure
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Dogs vet surgery has just been bought by horse vet and his wife!!!! They will now be able to retire on my invalid animals
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif