Lump on Spine after Riding?

Valhalla

Visit site
Hi, I have had my tb gelding for three months. He was very poor when I got him and has changed shape and put on lots of fat and muscle in that time. He is also slightly croup high with not a lot of wither.
The last few times I've ridden him a hard lump comes up right on his spine about 6" back from his withers, right where the waist of the saddle would be. It is a out the size of a 50p and about 5mm high, disappears after about 30 mins so must be fluid. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort when manipulated or pressed as hard as I like..no reaction at all.
I've read a few old posts on forums about this, but no-one seemed to have a definitive answer to what causes/caused it. I immediately assumed it was saddle fit, which still seems the most obvious & I have booked a master saddler to come out, but she can't until the end of the month. With this in mind I have tried two other saddles (including the one his previous owners rode him which came with him when they bought him & had no troubles) but the lump will still come up if ridden for more than 30 mins. I have swapped pads, added gel pads etc and nothing seems to make any difference.
Just trying to find out if anyone has experienced this before & what to do for the best until the saddler can come. A vet looked at it, didn't seem at all worried and said it would be a saddle fit problem...which I hope it is..but three different ones later a week off inbetween and no change.

Any views would be appreciated.

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I have this with my TB. I worried about it, had saddle checked, had Vet look at it, no answers. It disappeared one day and stayed away for about a year, but recently has come back again.

He needs his saddle checked and has been on and off work for a couple of months. Not sure whether it is when he has a break from ridden work, sometimes only needs to be a week, that it re-appears.

I think it was Kerrilli that had same problem a long while back (could be wrong) and we came to the conclusion it is a leaking small vessel.

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
I have this exact problem myself and despite the saddle being reflocked twice and tried a different saddle I still get a lump. I have a new saddler out tomorrow...

Valhalla

Visit site
Thank you, so nice to know I'm not alone at least!
So frustrating that there seems to be no definite answer isn't it? I'm not sure how worried to be or whether to carry on working him.
I did wonder whether it could be the amount of work since I bought him as he did almost nothing for the entire year previously & now I have been riding him 4-5 times a week & re-schooling (he was polo before year off) so lots more than he's used to. He's also put on a lot of muscle on his top line and is probably a bit fa....ahem..'in show condition' ;) or just a tad curvy, so back has changed a lot.

Will be really interested to see what your saddler says Frozen Hoof Neats, am considering boxing to mine if she can't come any sooner as I would like to get my saddle checked and ee flocked so I can dis-count that.

Maybe I'll inbox Kerrilli and ask what happened with hers too.

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
Hi, my saddle is bridging. So not even distribution along the back. Oh and wonky panels from where is was reflocked and the tree adjusted on both saddles :-(
Back to groundwork and riding bareback....

Impu1sion

Visit site
This also happened to my horse when ridden in her old saddle, I think it was rocking slightly. Not had any issues since changing saddle..

Valhalla

Visit site
Oh sorry to hear lots of saddle issues Frozen Hoof Beats, but in a way I'm relieved that both you and Impu1sion have discovered that is almost certainly is the saddle. At least that's easier to fix than the horse I guess :-/
Messaged Kerilli and she is certain its a saddle issue, but I am going to get a pic of lump and double check it was similar to hers.
...but which means I'll also be riding bareback, crikey, not sure I'm ready for that on him?! He can be slightly nuts!
Will maybe go begging for more saddles to try & do a lot of lunging until saddle lady arrives :D
I think he may be an odd one to fit though.

Thank you very much lovelies.

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
You should prob take some pics of sweat marks and the lump from both sides to show the saddler which was what I did from my last ride.

Good luck:)

scots

Visit site
My mare gets this, it is down to weak capillaries and the saddle fitting well - the place where the lump comes up is not where saddle panel sits. So the pressure is along the saddle area and the fluid leaks into capillaries. Lump pops up - and if you press thumb into it it dissipates

idx

Visit site
Hi

I agree with Scots and if you search there is some old threads on this subject by Kerilli. My mare gets it - more when I have been on walking hack (on for longer). She has had 3 saddles and it has happened with them all. Her current saddle was professionally fitted about a month ago and she still gets them. Saddles dont sit on the spine so I think it is about the flow of blood as Scots said.

Dont worry but get your saddle checked for peace of mine - I advised the saddle fitter of the lumps after riding and she was not concerned.

Good luck

Valhalla

Visit site
Ah good idea FBH, I'll do that tomorrow too. Thank you :)

Scots, did you mean saddle *not* fitting well or some horses just have weak capillaries and happens even with well fitting saddle? Is it something you can do anything about if so?

Valhalla

Visit site
Oh thank you idx, for some reason I didn't see your post. That clears up my question to scots too.

I initially thought it must be the build up of fluid from a saddle pressure point or bridging that could only escape to an area where there is no contact, but possibly not a dodgy fitting saddle then? Gawd! I think you're right though, I will get saddler out as I'd like to be sure about the fit of mine anyway & at least I can quiz her on what to do about them too!
I'm not totally confident that mine doesn't need adjusting anyway since he's changing a lot.

Does your mare always get them after prolonged riding then? I've seen that some people have said they inexplicably disappear for a while then sometimes will come back after a few months or year?

idx

Visit site
hi

Yes she always gets them after a longer ride, initially I thought it was the saddle so changed it, then I thought it maybe the numnah pressing down so changed from a prolite to a high wither, then I googled it and horse and hound came up in the results check out this link http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-189450.html

I was due to get my saddle fitted and although the saddler put her in a different saddle she still gets them.

My mare doesnt get them when I ride in the school (i think this is because the ride is shorter and I am not sitting the whole time like on a hack and she is moving more too?).

Hopefully yours are nothing to worry about too.

Happy H

Visit site
Mine was doing that - had saddler down and he adjusted saddle, but still did it a little bit. Changed numnah to a sheepskin one and problem sorted :)

Someone said to me at the time that it is a common problem with big moving horses with sensitive skin. i.e. no matter how well your saddle fits, if your horse is athletic or has a big movement, there back will be moving all the time under the saddle which is essentially solid and can cause little pressure lumps which usually go down within 1/2 hr or so. The sheepskin will move with the horse, whilst keeping the saddle from moving.

Might be worth a try.

Valhalla

Visit site
Ah thanks idx :) My boy still gets it in the school, but at least having spoken to all of you I'm not panicking over it now. Have only had the horse for three months and I've broken him already?! ;)

First tb for a few years too!

Happy H, I have been dreamily eyeing up a Mattes sheepskin for some time...you've just given me the very reason to finally buy one! Thank you :D