Lumps on horse(s) - query sarcoid (pics..)

Fiona

Visit site
I would be grateful for advice as I know a lot of you have had horses diagnosed (and treated) with sarcoids.

First up...

Sophie - 11yo grey mare IDx

I noticed a little nodule at the point of her stifle about three years ago, and it grew v slowly over a year until it was nearly pea sized before suddenly disappearing completely overnight (small mark/blood on skin). It regrew again v slowly and vet looked at it in about another year (again was about pea sized). He basically grabbed it and twisted and came off in his hand (hard white nodule, sitting just under the skin).

For the third time it has grown slowly, and I am wondering what to do. Should I ask the vet to come out and sedate, and remove it again (small incision, poss one stitch required) or something else.

Here it is..

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

Originally I had perhaps thought it was an embedded thorn (hunted quite a bit that winter), but surely this wouldn't 'regrow' as such.

OK - now for number two horse

Flora - 8yo TB bay mare

Has had a roughened patch of skin on the inside of her left thigh for quite a while, but I recently noticed that this patch is now raised, in fact there are two little lumps.

I have purchased some thuja cream and tablets, and will start these tomorrow, but thought before I started I would take a pic..

IMG_4346.jpg

Again - any opinions would be great. Does it look like a sarcoid (I hope not, as will be an awkward site to treat), or something else.

Many thanks

Fiona

Skhosu

Visit site
looks sarcoid like to me, but I've only seen under the tail ones.
(and I am so impressed that you managed to get a tape measure near her inner thigh :O )

Natalie_H

Visit site
Mine had one just like Flora's on the inside of his back leg. Had the vets check it and they said to leave it alone unless it aggressively changed. It would grow a bit in the summer, but not angry looking - just grey & scaly. last year I was brushing him and it had dropped off! You would barely know it had been there now
grin.gif

hairycob

Visit site
They look like they could well be sarcoids but to be honest in those positions i would leave well alone. The first one has come back twice already &, if it is a sarcoid, every time it grows back there is a risk it will come back worse - either bigger, as multiple lumps or in a more problematic form.

millitiger

Visit site
the second picture definitely looks like a sarcoid to me... i'm not sure about the first but i am not an expert.

i would not ignore them if they are sarcoids and would get them treated straight away with liverpool cream, lamb rings etc

my boy had one and we left it as it was so small and not causing him any problems.. long story short we are now having to deal with it very aggressively as it grew so quickly and over a very short period of time got to the size of a small egg.

fingers crossed the treatment seems to be working now but i really wish we had dealt with it as soon as it appeared.

HarasdeMarwood

New User
Visit site
Thuja has worked on the two horses that I have known it to have been used on.

One was my little pony who had them between his back legs, the vet was staggered this week, when he had seen that they had disappeared. The other was a friends horse, that suffers with them on his lower eye lid, the difference is remarkable.

The Liverpool Vet College, will sell you some very expensive unlicenced cream of which only the vet can put it on, adding to the costs! It works too, but I would on say go for that in extreme cases and only if the Thuja has not worked.

samstar

Visit site
1st lump definately a sarcoid, my gelding has the white nodules in his (on sheath) like the size of a tick. His sarcoid burst and has dried up for now.
We won't be looking to start treatment unless it flares up again.

Fiona

Visit site
Now that I've bought this cream, shes going to be used to me sticking my head between her back legs on a daily basis.

Joking aside, she is a very un-marey mare as regards kicking etc.

What do you think of Sophie's lump, as it seems very unlike any sarcoid I have ever seen (have only seen a few in pictures though).

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Thuja cream and tablets bought, and bay mare started on them today. WOrth a try over the summer at least, as I wouldn't try anything more invasive during the fly season.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
I am contacting the vet next week when I am off work to ask him to do something about the grey mare's lump. The position it is in, I imagine it could be removed fairly easily.

I will also show him the one on the bay mare for his advice, but unless it starts to grow really rapidly I think it is the wrong time of year to start agressive treatment.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks for all replies.

I've never seen a real horse with a sarcoid (just a few pics), so anyone elses imput would also be gratefully received.

Also any recommendation for online vet site which might have pics etc would be great.

Fiona