lung scope and BAL

coloured_c0b

Visit site
Has anybody had a bronchoscopy and BAL done on their horse? horse had developed a cough and had respiratory distress. vet thinks it could either be a virus or possibly ROA but worth having a look a this lungs and trying to determine weather it is an allergy. SO did you find it helpful what should i expect..?
thanks in advance:)

RobinHood

Visit site
Yes my horse had a bronchoscopy, trachael wash and bronchial lavagae (BAL), and then had them all repeated at a vet hospital along with a treadmill endoscopy.

The bronchoscopy and trachael wash were straightforward but the BAL did make my horse cough an awful lot during the procedure and for the following 2 weeks, however I was assured at the time this was highly unusual and he was absolutely fine the second time.

sweepeep

Visit site
Did you find out what was wrong with your horse in the end? Did he have treatment and how well did he recover?

My horse is booked for a scope and lung wash on Tuesday - he doesn't have a cough but is severely under the weather although he's been on antibiotics the past week.

coloured_c0b

Visit site
Did you find out what was wrong with your horse in the end? Did he have treatment and how well did he recover?

My horse is booked for a scope and lung wash on Tuesday - he doesn't have a cough but is severely under the weather although he's been on antibiotics the past week.

i didn't end up going for the lung scope in the end, he recovered well after the initial antibiotics and he become too stiff when in his stable due to arthritis, he was therefore kept out 24/7 and he never suffered another bout so i assume he developed a dust allergy of somesort, sadly his arthritis got the better of him and we said goodbye in autumn this year. i hope you manage to get some answers, sorry i cant be of any help

Doormouse

Visit site
My horse had a scope and lung wash this summer after a winter of low grade coughing and having antibiotics and ventapulmin. We discovered irritation of the lungs and he had a 14 day course of steroid jabs and an inhaler. He refused to play with the inhaler so we just did the jabs, put him on steamed hay, cardboard bedding and wet food with no chaff. He is now hunting and hasn't (touch wood) coughed at all and his wind is much better.

He looked wrong all last winter and didn't really thrive even with the spring grass but since we have got his lungs sorted he is a different horse. Definitely worth doing and actually not as hard to manage as you would imagine. I thought he would have to be out all the time to cope but he is fine being in and even when we have to restrict turnout he is coping really well.

sweepeep

Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

I am hoping that some form of medication and management will sort this out. As there was no cough it baffled me (although I have a lung condition and I didn't have normal symptoms either). He was really quite fit in the summer with no complaints but I suppose it could have been brought on by an allergy as we are at a new yard and the stables are individual as opposed to him being in open boxes in a large barn environment this time last year and with his previous home.

I will see what happens on Tuesday.. x

My horse had a scope and lung wash this summer after a winter of low grade coughing and having antibiotics and ventapulmin. We discovered irritation of the lungs and he had a 14 day course of steroid jabs and an inhaler. He refused to play with the inhaler so we just did the jabs, put him on steamed hay, cardboard bedding and wet food with no chaff. He is now hunting and hasn't (touch wood) coughed at all and his wind is much better.

He looked wrong all last winter and didn't really thrive even with the spring grass but since we have got his lungs sorted he is a different horse. Definitely worth doing and actually not as hard to manage as you would imagine. I thought he would have to be out all the time to cope but he is fine being in and even when we have to restrict turnout he is coping really well.