Lunge aid for SI

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m currently bringing my mare back into work (8 to weeks back in now) following 10 weeks box rest, hand walking etc for a nasty kick injury.

She’s always been a bit sensitive over her back since I got her but having x-rayed/worked up/physio’d we think she’s sore over her SI area post box rest.

I’m currently bringing her back into work with the advice of vet/physio however one of the things suggested was polework and in-handwork with a pessoa to help her stretch over her back properly.

I’m not a fan of lunging - especially as she had ligament damage on a leg from the injury. So instead I’m looking for an aid for straight line poles etc that will achieve the stretch but is simple enough to pop on before work/not end up like spaghetti - as I think may be the problem with the Pessoa.
Maybe one of those German string type things?

Suggestions gratefully received!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Inhand work in walk over poles is ideal, but no strings, and defintely not a Pessoa!

Start with ground poles, and build up, but the best results come in walk. An Equicore is very useful, and lets the horse reach down. This mare has had a major pelvic injury and her SI joint medicated - the inhand walk work over poles in just a headcollar plus the equicore has worked really well for her.

Going over poles in walk gives a better overall stretch than if in trot.

AD46A31C-C92F-4969-BC2B-A7ADAF21294D.jpeg

ETA And again, this time with a saddle in place. The advice about the in hand walk work over poles came from a very experienced chiro vet, who formerly worked as a senior vet at Leahurst. She can always tell which of her clients have been doing the pole work in between treatments :).

840F7ADD-79BE-4907-8F6A-04700297FF5A.jpeg

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I'm wary of poles, it's very easy for horses to go in poor form over them, or to get tired way faster than you'd expect. I once saw a video of about 7 raised walk poles, and the horse being led over them got tired on the third pass, with hocks wobbling like crazy. Useful but you really need to be careful.

No gadgets, full stop.

Is there a good in-hand rehab type trainer anywhere near you? Perhaps if you put your location we could recommend someone? I have a list of links I could email you too.

charlotte0916

Visit site
That’s really helpful, thank you all! Currently doing raised poles 1 x weekly then hacking otherwise so I will continue with that. I was considering the equicore option so will check that out.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I'm wary of poles, it's very easy for horses to go in poor form over them, or to get tired way faster than you'd expect. I once saw a video of about 7 raised walk poles, and the horse being led over them got tired on the third pass, with hocks wobbling like crazy. Useful but you really need to be careful.

I think poles are incredibly useful providing you have reasonable judgement.

It is frustrating how few repetitions can do without tiring a horse when it takes a while to set poles up.

I’ve found can build up the repetitions a bit, and build sets like at the gym. Though agree quality is important. When the quality deteriorates it means you’ve over tired muscles and need a break. You can spot it before tired if careful.

The team physio was showing clips of a horse with wobbly movement after a few walk raised pole repeats, as part of a talk on how important progressive strengthening is. They were recommending careful build up. Might be same video.

The recent Tom Beech lecture recommended a combination of groundwork raised poles and reining back to keep back muscles active for riding, even for fit competing horses.

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’m glad my pedantic approach seems well justified in that case - I record how many poles, how many times and whether any are raised each session and have been building it up each week. I think rein back is very under-utilised too, it’s been a great tool brining her back in (and good to redirect over enthusiasm in intial hand walking previously ?)