Lunge Pen advice

Matafleur

Visit site
I have a few questions for those that know about building arenas or lunge pens. I think I can fit in a lunge pen at home of about 18m diameter, is this big enough for a lunge pen? It would be for 1 horse and would be used twice a week at most. If the size is suitable then there are still a few issues to overcome...

The only area I have available is concreted. The concrete is slightly uneven and has a slight fall down to a small amount of grassland that in turn slopes down to the brook.

1. Is it possible to build a lunge pen with a concrete base?
2. If it is possible, will it be prohibitively expensive?!
3. If not, what is the process? Do I need drains? A membrane? Can the surface just be laid on the top?
4. How would you fence it? I would prefer not to break the concrete up to put posts in.

I'm hoping there is some way to do this as it would make my life a million times easier but I do not have thousands and thousands to spend on this. We can do a fair bit of the work ourselves as we farm so have some kit and fencing/building skills.

Thanks for any input, much appreciated!

horseaddict

Visit site
Hi. I have a round pen/arena. Mine is 20 metres diameter and plenty big enough to lunge. Its large enough to ride in as well. I'm not sure about putting a surface directly on to concrete, I would be concerned about it being unstable underfoot.But having said that, if your surface was deep enough perhaps it could work. The drainage might also be problematic. I suppose if you were able to cut the concrete to create drainage? Regarding the fencing, I have used plastic fencing posts and tape.
Good luck. You wont regret building a round pen ... they are really useful and I love mine.

DappleDown

Visit site
1. Is it possible to build a lunge pen with a concrete base?
--Possible yes, but I wouldn't.

2. If it is possible, will it be prohibitively expensive?!
--See above but if you wanted to go down this route the price is relative to size, d.i.y. or getting quotes in.

3. If not, what is the process? Do I need drains? A membrane? Can the surface just be laid on the top?
--I would treat it exactly as if putting in a sand school, so yes, drainage and membrane. Not sand on top of concrete as when the surface moved (tracked) you would be left with just the concrete underfoot.

4. How would you fence it? I would prefer not to break the concrete up to put posts in.
--We have adapted Heras fencing, 25m diam.
I have also seen them fenced with tall post and rail fencing and solid fencing, both were about 8ft high.

It is essential the fencing is secure, or a knock from an over excited/keen horse could send the lot crashing down.

Good luck with your project. :)

Matafleur

Visit site
Thanks, the surface moving is my main concern :-(

Unfortunately it's either put it in on the concrete or not at all but if it's going to be useless then I just won't bother.

My issue with the fencing is that it will also have to be on concrete so I'm not sure how we could secure it.