Lungeing youngster Pessoa vs side reins

Mary3050

Visit site
Looking for a little advice.
I am bringing my 5 year old back in to work after being turned away after being started under saddle last year . He was lungeing, long reining , walking and trotting under saddle .

I have been working him ( lunging and long reining) for the last 3 weeks slowly building him back up . I add in his side reins last week as I used them last year and just on loose for now but not too loose . However someone on the yard said I shouldn’t be using side reins and to be very careful with them . That I should Pessoa him instead.

This has left me really confused as I don’t know what she meant be careful. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on Pessoa vs side reins for a youngster ?
Thanks x

Mary3050

Visit site
I’d tell your so called expert where to go.
A Pessoa shouldn’t go anywhere near a youngster returning to work and anyone who thinks it should, needs to go to the bottom of the list for opinions to listen to!

Thanks for the reply . I don’t really like Pessoa and I wouldn’t be using one on my youngster But I was more concerned about “ be careful “ with side reins . I use them for all my horses and have never had an issue . X

Louby

Visit site
I use loose side reins on my 4 yr old, purely as otherwise shes gawping everywhere and takes advantage of the spooky side of the arena and despite being loose they seem to do the trick. The physio said not to use a pessoa, I dont like them anyway but basically she said she doesnt want restricting or being tied in at such a young age.

Last edited:

Mary3050

Visit site
Thanks I also don’t like a Pessoa due to gab ristricting and fixing they are . Just wondered if I had missed something all them years ago at pc “ on the dangers of lunging in side reins “ x

tristar

Visit site
and seeing people lead a horse around with the side reins fastened gaud

wonder if old pessoa got on the floor and tried those things on himself before he inflicted them on horses, if not he should

mandyroberts

Visit site
Nothing wrong with a pessoa if used correctly but I didn't think your horse is up to it yet from what you have said. Personally I think long reining is best. I lunge with the rein thru the bit attached to the girth to encourage stretching but my horse doesn't tend to go on the forehand. You need to make sure you don't keep them curled and get them stuck. I do think it depends on your horse and how strong they are in their development.
Personally I'm not confidant with the pessoa as if they have a 'gymnastic moment' you could get in a horrible tangled mess!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I always lunge mine with a bungee over the head through the bit then between the legs fastened to the girth, it's not at all fixed then and just encourages a lower head carriage, never been a fan of the pessoa personally especially not for a young horse.

AFB

Visit site
I always lunge mine with a bungee over the head through the bit then between the legs fastened to the girth, it's not at all fixed then and just encourages a lower head carriage, never been a fan of the pessoa personally especially not for a young horse.
This would be my preference too, encourage long & low and a nice stretchy position in a youngster.

joosie

Visit site
I would ditch the idea of the Pessoa straight off. They have their merits when used correctly and sympathetically but for me they have no place on a youngster.
Personally I would opt for a bandage around the back legs to encourage more active use of the back end combined with loose-ish sidereins giving him a light contact to work into.
However after 3 weeks of lunging I would also be looking at getting back on board by now, and cutting the lunging down to once or maybe twice a week. It's not great physically for a developing horse to work in endless small circles. You will find when you get back on him that he remembers what he's already been taught.

Mary3050

Visit site
I would ditch the idea of the Pessoa straight off. They have their merits when used correctly and sympathetically but for me they have no place on a youngster.
Personally I would opt for a bandage around the back legs to encourage more active use of the back end combined with loose-ish sidereins giving him a light contact to work into.
However after 3 weeks of lunging I would also be looking at getting back on board by now, and cutting the lunging down to once or maybe twice a week. It's not great physically for a developing horse to work in endless small circles. You will find when you get back on him that he remembers what he's already been taught.

Thanks I will look at using a bandage as I have never tried that before. What kind of bandage would u suggest . I will have a look into it . He’s being long reined around the field more than lungeing. He’s lunged about 2 times a week and long reining 3 x a week . Will be looking at get back on him soon . He’s not the very mature for his age so wanting to build muscle before getting back on . We had to turn him away last time as he kept having hunge growth spurts and became very uneven . Thanks x

Mary3050

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies . The Pessoa will not be going anywhere near him until he’s older . He currently working very well in his side reins . I have them loose but long buy not flapping or too loose . I have come to the conclusion that the expert seems to think she knows everything and everyone . It’s a new yard so still getting to know everyone .

Louby

Visit site
Sorry havent a clue how to use the multiquote thingy on here but as joosie said 'Personally I would opt for a bandage around the back legs to encourage more active use of the back end combined with loose-ish sidereins giving him a light contact to work into'

This is what Im doing at the moment on the advice of my physio as my mare has had locking/sticky stifles and we are trying to encourage her to work from behind, Im just using a tail bandage but you can use a yoga band too.

I hate the hoe too, I can see its benefits in the right hands but so often you see the poor horse being asked to canter when its head is practically near its knees :(

Louby

Visit site
Thanks rosiesowner and louby I will try with a tail bandage Tomorrow .
Its really helped and the difference is amazing. Just wanted to mention though, she was a bit OMG, what the heck is that when I first put it on, so be prepared just in case :) She is a typical mare though!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They have their merits when used correctly and sympathetically

I don't get this. I would love someone to explain to me when it is of benefit to connect your horse's mouth directly to the action of its hind legs. A friend of mine who never gets on a horse without using a pessoa first has one lame horse after another.

I think the pessoa is foul.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Its really helped and the difference is amazing. Just wanted to mention though, she was a bit OMG, what the heck is that when I first put it on, so be prepared just in case :) She is a typical mare though!

Although if you have lunged with two lines before, one round the bum end, the OMG moment might not happen.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I would say if you dont really understand what you are trying to achieve with various gadgets, bandages, side reins etc etc then you are best off not using any of them until you've had some professional help. perhaps better off just lunging in a cavesson and over some poles. Also if your horse will hack, its probably the best option to get back on and start 4-6 weeks of road work, including hills and various different surfaces and terrains

rosiesowner

Visit site
Thanks rosiesowner and louby I will try with a tail bandage Tomorrow .

Fabulous! If there's someone on the yard who can help you with putting the bandage and side reins on to ensure the correct fit then it'd be worth asking if you're unsure. A little too slack is always better than too tight.

Let us know how it goes :)

KautoStar1

Visit site
Fabulous! If there's someone on the yard who can help you with putting the bandage and side reins on to ensure the correct fit then it'd be worth asking if you're unsure. A little too slack is always better than too tight.

Let us know how it goes :)

And thats the problem, its a big IF.