Lungeing?

only_me

Visit site
Have been looking at pessoas and the cheaper models and I like the fact it encourages working over the back and engagement. However not sure I like the pulley action near the mouth esp If attached to the bit- it appears everytime the horse would extend back leg it would get jabbed in the mouth?
Has anyone found this? If so, have you found a way around it?

Tnavas

Visit site
The Passoa totally screwed up my horses mouth - the breakers used it and I've had to give her two years off work and re break her to stop her resisting the bit.

As you say it grabs the bit everytime the horse moves its legs, seesawing the horses head down.

I've never needed to use anything like this - I use side reins and work my horses into them, some it only takes a few days some it takes weeks to get them there but eventually they are truly working forward into the contact.

Invest in a nice lunge cavesson and leather side reins with no rubber insets or donuts.

snopuma

Visit site
I use my Pessoa slightly differently from the diagram,

so instead of the setting going - from the back to the pulley on the bit to between front legs

I go from the back to clip pulley on roller at lowest ring then put rope down through bit rings and then clip to girth between legs,

this way the contact to mouth is stiller and you don't get the 'alternate yank in the gob' action which lets face it no horse or person wants!

TarrSteps

Visit site
The mouth to hock connection is what totally puts me off them. I'm sure the general action does help build some of the right muscles but I can't help thinking you're sacrificing something very important and potentially unfixable.

OP, are you training in physio? It might be worth investigating some of the "body work" options for horses, such as taping and a "figure 8" wrap. It's a bit fiddly and you have to know what you're up to but I've used both with surprisingly (for something so simple and "non-invasive) good effect. Another option would be something more consistent in front (that "lungee bungee" set up or similar) and a seperate wrap/tail piece. For the sake of experiment I once made a copy of that old rig that tied to the tail (!!) - was that an Abbot-Davies?? - and, I have to say, it worked a treat for the horse I used it on! Probably not for every day though!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I briefly worked in a therapy centre and for lunging they would plait baler twine into the horses tails and attach it to a long loop attached to both bit rings.

Does the Equi-Ami work on two seperate loops, I used to use one on my old boss' horses, but I can't remember :eek: :D

only_me

Visit site
Thats what I thought Evelyn, the pulley might take some pressure off but not enough to save the mouth, which is really important!
I'm not a huge fan of side-reins either, I think they do their job but long lining is much better :)

That sounds better sopuma, although not convinced then that in that set up it would encourage hollowing more than throughness?

I am indeed Tarsteps, in my final year :)eek:) although not for horses, I might take a course afterwards though :) Haven't heard of the 8 wrap but have done a course in taping so know the mechanics behind it so could always give it a go. I like the idea of the bungee but would probably use it more in a chambon set up (I like those, gets the swing over the back nicely) but probably using side-reins or chambon over poles would do the job just as well, maybe with some tape over the SI.

Am interested in something that encourages engagement but saves the mouth; a chambon on the front with a long bungee type thing from roller around thighs to roller again might encourage the lift through?

ETS - I quite like the equi-ami but is hard to see from videos, does the back line connect to the mouth?

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
Ooh that's interesting, I see it has been produced by a physio which is a great plus, and presumably you can attach to cavesson instead of the bit?

TarrSteps

Visit site
You can also attach whatever you are using to a noseband (I often longe/drive off a well fitting, leather headcollar) to save the mouth. This can encourage the horse to lean against the contact, though, and doesn't, of course, spare the poll completely, but it is certainly a milder effect.

amage

Visit site
You can also attach whatever you are using to a noseband (I often longe/drive off a well fitting, leather headcollar) to save the mouth. This can encourage the horse to lean against the contact, though, and doesn't, of course, spare the poll completely, but it is certainly a milder effect.

THIS!! We use it with a cavesson!

WoodfordFox

Visit site
You can use side-reins (I like elastic to the bits rings, but we're all different) and then get a stretchy bandage and tie it to the roller in a loop. Once your horse is warmed-up pull the loop down over his bottom to encourage him to engage behind. I don't need to do this with my horse, but I've seen it work very effectively - and cheaply - and it doesn't connect to the bit!