Lunging aid - to bridle or cavesson...

SirBrastias

Visit site
Obliquity horse has regular vet check, saddle recently checked and chiropractor/sports physio every 6 months.

I have what I suspect is a stupid question but I figured someone may be able to help / point me right.

Horse lunges beautifully in a lunging cavesson. Sometimes better than others but is improving all the time. However lunging in a bridle he tends to fall out on the one rein and gets a bit argumentative / gets anxious and turns in. Obvious solution would be to stick to lunging cavesson, however I have the 'shire soft lunging aid' which I have been using to help him work through himself better on the lunge and lift his back. It works (most of the time), however on the one rein he still struggles. Presumably there is no point attaching this to a cavesson as it won't have the same pressure? Should I have the training aid attached to the bit but then the lunging cavesson over (or should that be under?) the bridle and attach the lung line to the cavesson?

He is lunged once a week. Ridden by his rider 3/4 times. He's an OTTB who is getting better and better every week. He is starting to round more and work through himself better all the time and under the saddle barely falls out anymore and is much straighter.

If I can crack the lunging it will take a bit of pressure off his rider and I quite enjoying working with the horse as he is really rewarding.

Extra notes: lunging aid not attached until warmed up. Good trainer on hand but not always available. I did wonder if long reining would be a better option but not confident to do this on my own.

ihatework

Visit site
If I’m using lunging aids I tend to prefer attaching the aid to the bit, and the lunge line to the nose ring (which for you would be the lunge cavesson) - but the micklem multi bridle is a really useful lunge bridle

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would look into other options for building muscle/posture/exercise, in hand groundwork would likely be more efficient at straightening, happy to send out a list of groundwork links I have if you message me your email address.

I don't advocate any form of gadget, even side reins. Anything that holds the head down is trying to fix a symptom, not the asymmetric way of going that causes hollowness and resistance.

Wheels

Visit site
I would look into other options for building muscle/posture/exercise, in hand groundwork would likely be more efficient at straightening, happy to send out a list of groundwork links I have if you message me your email address.

I don't advocate any form of gadget, even side reins. Anything that holds the head down is trying to fix a symptom, not the asymmetric way of going that causes hollowness and resistance.

Agree with this 100%

One of the aims of lunging is for the horse to learn true self carriage and that cant be done by the use of ropes.

The particular training aid you mention here pulls down on the back with every stride and too much pressure is put on the tongue also. The fact that your horse is struggling on one side shows that this is not having a straightening effect, likely making matters worse.

Neither do I ever lunge in a bridle, too much can go wrong in what is a very sensitive part of the anatomy.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes, take reins and noseband off the bridle. Put on cavesson then bit and headpiece. Attach side reins/lunging aid, whatever to the bit and lunge from the front ring of the cavesson. That is the traditional set up.

Palindrome

Visit site
I have used something similar to the Shires soft lunging aid for a mare who had a very high head carriage and I needed to encourage her to have her head down to relax. I was lunging from a regular headcollar and clipped it on the side rings of the headcollar. The rope is loose so it works with the headcollar too.

SirBrastias

Visit site

Thanks, I've sent you my email (at least I think I have...)

SirBrastias

Visit site
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share, lots of things to think about but I'm certainly going to go back to attaching lung line to headcollar as this seems to suit us best