Lunging for weight loss and fitness?

Miss L Toe

Visit site
what is OW?..... if over weight I suggest walking walking walking, not strolling along, I am not a fan of lunging, as a lot of people whizz their poor horse round on a string, I don't know what the horse thinks about it, but I think it is a bad thing..

mulledwhine

Visit site
Over weight!!!! Have been lunging but not whizzing around mainly a bit of brisk walking and trot brOken up with the odd little canter when he lOoked as though he wanted to let loose:) after having a TB that struggled tO keep weight on and was highly strung, who would have thought that a welsh sec A was such a mine field xx :)

diet2ride

Visit site
Both me and NAS are overweight, so we're limited to lunging and long reining - tbh the long reining is more to give him a break from lunging, I,m just not fit enough- NAS toned up and started to look good with 20-30 min sessions 3-4 times a week.

To begin with I just concentrated on building up his stamina... Trotting, and lots of transitions. Once he was able to cope with that I introduced side reins/ Pessoa.

mulledwhine

Visit site
Thank you I wish I was 8 stOne and then I could ride him :) not to be though. Will have a go at lOng reInging , how do you ask him to go through the transistions from the floor? Can't believe how much I have forgotten :( xx

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I do alot of lunging with my miniature stallion to get him fit for the shows. However i vary it with long reinging. I also vary the lunging in that sometimes ill introduce raised trotting poles, sometimes i loose lunge him and sometimes on a lunge line. I mainly do trotting and cantering for a full 20 minutes with no rests in between. Works for me :)

Boysy

Visit site
My youngster has got fitter over the last 7 wks of lunging then he has over the last 3 yrs of riding i'm sure.

Lots of proper brisk walking, transitions, transitions, transitions so they are thinking all the time, trotting, changing rein etc. My lunging is a combination of lunge and long rein in that i never stand still myself and the line is varied from 5m to 10m so i can get up behind him and send him on all the time.

Sessions are from 15-30mins depending on how quickly i get bored or run out of puff - LOL

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Thank you I wish I was 8 stOne and then I could ride him :) not to be though. Will have a go at lOng reInging , how do you ask him to go through the transistions from the floor? Can't believe how much I have forgotten :( xx
All horses are sensitive to voice commands, I was reminded if this when I rode a horse that had never ever been handled by a female, I coughed and spoke to another rider about something, next thing, I was over a hedge!
the commands are quite clear, and all driving ponies know them
WALK, Terrot Kanter when going up. sharp and clear
going down, its tiroooooooooooot
waaaaaaaaaalk
whooooooooooooa
staaaaaaaaand
then there is bbbrrr brre