Lunging from bridle

Irishcobs

Visit site
Gypsy has to be lunged from a bridle, he's too strong in a cavasson but I can't find a way of attaching the lunge line with out the bit pulling through his mouth or pulling it about.
I've tried putting it over his head so it clips to the outside ring but this pulls the inside ring right up in his mouth and he looks unfortable. I've tried threading it through under his chin so it clips to the outside again, but this pulls the rings together at the back and puts a lot of pressure on his mouth, I've tried clipping it to the inside ring only but this pulls the bit into his mouth and today I tried a coupling link but that pulled on the outside ring and turned his head slightly to the outside.
So I'm now out of ideas. Any other way I haven't thought of?

ETS: I can use two reins but its not easy at the moment as my leg gives out so I need my other hand/arm to help me balance.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Unfortunately I have no suggestions as to what to do except to be a gloom merchant and say that lunging from the bridle can cause damage to the poll and mouth. I know, I know he tanks in a cavesson, what about a headcollar on tight and lunge off that?, that's what I use for tankers - sorry!
blush.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
I don't like lunging from a bridle but I honestly won't be able to hold him in anything else especially with my leg at the moment. He's a big, solid b*gger, who sets neck and goes.

Lozz1uk

Visit site
I sometimes clip the rope to the inside bit, thread under the chin through the outside bit ring and then back throught the inside. Either that or I thread it through the ring on the roller and then to the inside bit ring to really make her bend to the inside (I don't do this for long as it's harder work for her)

burtie

Visit site
Is he as strong when riding?

It's fine to lunge from the bit, but the contact needed should be the same as when riding. If he is only strong when lunging it implies a problem here. Either he's not been taught to lunge correctly or he's scared in some way. If it is only a problem when lunging I'm afraid you really need to go back to basics and teach him to lunge correctly again. Only moving up a step when he has learnt to go forwards confidently but without pulling. Aslo if you have access to a round pen this can be used as an outside rein and barrier and be really effective in helping with confidence and stopping pulling.