lunging with side reins ...

Visit site
I have been advised to lunge my pony in sidereins, (to help with his bending) is this a good idea and is it necessary?

What are people's views on side reins?

Jemayni

Visit site
I always lunge in side-riens, they work your horse very hard, and are very useful for working through problems! It is not necessary, but I am sure it will be help!

However they are very restricting on the horse; so make sure you ask someone experienced to show you how to use them properlly, otherwise you may damage your ponies back!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Errr <font color="purple"> NOOOOO </font>

Side reins DO NOT help with bending. They are often used in inappropriate style and actually stop the horse from bending on the lunge.

They are excellent if you are a cr*p rider and want to give your horse a dead mouth and to learn to totally ignore the aids from the mouth..... (riding schools love 'em)

Even a novice with a chambon will do far less damage as you are encouraging to stretch long and low and use correct muscles.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have used them, (he had a tendency to shove his head up and p*** off, either that or stick his head down and rodeo), and loose side reins allowed him to go fowards naturally and not restrict him too much, yet stopped him messing about and concentrate on the job in hand, and they did a fab job. I would be VERY careful using them on a 'normal' length when lungeing, as even proffessionals can get this wrong. I use the side reins that have the buckles, so I can ensure the reins are at the right length for whatever I'm doing.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I concur with CotswoldSJ in that I don't see how they would help/encourage your horse to bend. Much better to do it from the saddle I would've thought.
For lunging I much prefer a de gogue or a chambon that will allow your horse to stretch down as much as he likes.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I concur with CotswoldSJ in that I don't see how they would help/encourage your horse to bend. Much better to do it from the saddle I would've thought.
For lunging I much prefer a de gogue or a chambon that will allow your horse to stretch down as much as he likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with you, I have always been reluctant tp try out the lunging in side reins thing because I don't see how it could help him when I think basic schooling (circles etc) will help him a lot more.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I have used side-reins but do so on a long length and sparingly. I also use a chambon. I believe a little bit of everything does your horse good-not sure if Im right...as a little bit of cocaine probs wouldnt do your horse any good at al.....:)

teapot

Visit site
ditto Kate - used them on Baron when he was in one of his "woohoo, I'm not going to concentrate, instead I'll try &amp; tank off" moods. Purely there so I had a little bit more concentration.

I can't see how sidereins would help with bending - people tend to use them in order to gain what they think is a good outline

emerald2006

Visit site
i lunge in side reins and a saddle so that thew side reins go onto the girth. this way my horse streches over her her back and virtually has her head on the floor in a steady rytham. for me it avoids arguments which i may have on board and actually makes her work over her back. pessoas are good aswel. u need to learn to use the side reins properlay and what you need to see in the horses movement on the lunge. they should have a bouncy trot/canter opposed to a flat fast one. this way their head will become lower and muscles will bulid up which will help you with bending once you are on board. once they can do that easily then put a roller on and move the side reins up making sure that the horse is constastly in self carriage and not leaning on the lunge rein.