Lunging

PC Steele

Visit site
My 23 yr old has been intermittently lame for over a year. He is now sound after sorting foot balance out with an amazing farrier. He is VERY sprightly for his age. Would you include lunging in his weekly exercise? I’m obviously worried about lameness and I obviously wouldn’t do small circles etc. But do find lunging useful in the winter? (He doesn’t go mental on the lunge)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I would prefer to long rein or loose school. Unless you have a very good surface and a very large circle and can walk whilst you lunge (to make the circle even larger) lunging puts huge stresses and strains on the joints.

What was he diagnosed with initially and that might help to understand more?

PC Steele

Visit site
I have a very good surface and a massive school, can’t long rein unfortunately as he goes completely crazy 😜 Nothing on MRI but x ray revealed that all the angles were slightly out on left fore (lame leg) right fore was text book angles so vet said remedial shoeing from the best farrier you can afford would sort. I can’t afford the carrier but he is having the shoes anyway and is sound. Lameness was neververy severe and very intermittent

Zuzzie

Visit site
I have a 24 year old (25 in April) who has had numerous foot problems over the last 10 years, including collateral ligament damage and arthritis. He is hacked out 4 times a week lightly but if he feels slow then I moderate the amount he does. I would not worry about lunging, just so long as it is for a short time (15 or 20 minutes) with plenty of rest breaks in between work. I walk a very large circle so that he is more or less working straight. he enjoys going in the school and sometimes has a buck because he gets excited!

I also think its important to keep old joints moving, especially if they are arthritic. You just need to listen to your horse and take your cue from him.

Last edited:

PC Steele

Visit site
I have a 24 year old (25 in April) who has had numerous foot problems over the last 10 years, including collateral ligament damage and arthritis. He is hacked out 4 times a week lightly but if he feels slow then I moderate the amount he does. I would not worry about lunging, just so long as it is for a short time (15 or 20 minutes) with plenty of rest breaks in between work. I walk a very large circle so that he is more or less working straight. he enjoys going in the school and sometimes has a buck because he gets excited!

I also think its important to keep old joints moving, especially if they are arthritic. You just need to listen to your horse and take your cue from him.
Thanks xxxx

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Can't stand lunging, i'd long line or something that doesn't involve constant circles. The above comments are perfect. Vet informed me lunging was the worst thing possible for a horses hocks, even if just at walk it isn't great. If not just light hacking or work, anything is better than lunging but then again I really am not for lunging. :)

w1bbler

Visit site
I wouldn't lunge a horse with lameness issues, get on & ride, you get instant feedback if the horse is feeling anything difficult.
My elderly arthritic mare benefits from straight line exercise, but turning is not always comfortable, I hack her as often as possible
We have occasional sessions in the school, I don't circle her faster than walk but we trot & occasional canter down the long side.

Puddleduck

Visit site
I’ve been rehabbing my Warmblood following navicular and torn DDFT issues in his right fore.
Groundwork in hand including straightness exercises have been a huge help in setting up to maintain soundness. I also work him on a lunge line using Manolo Mendez’s methods to allow him to find balance and straightness through his topline & core without the endless circles that can cause stress and wear on joints. He’s become so much stronger and supple as well as sound this way.